Waukegan Talk

Full Version: What does Robin Schabes do exactly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
With all due respect, and as a taxpaying, contributing, life-long resident of the City of Waukegan, I'd seriously like to know what Robin Schabes, Director of Lakefront & Downtown development does each day at work?

I'm quite serious...what exactly has Ms. Schabes actually "done" for the City of Waukegan?

As the Director of Lakefront and Downtown Development, how has she contributed to the betterment of that area?

I understand she makes over $100,000 annually, and has worked for the City for approx. 5 years...that's a great deal of "our" money, which we have now paid a woman to develop what...Genesee Street? The public beach? Market Street? The Metra train station? Laughable!

Open your eyes Waukegan residents...we should take a long hard look at who we employ at the top to lead our beautiful city (...and yes, I believe it has the capacity to once again be beautiful some day). Instead of laying off police, Public Works and others who directly deal with the public for what...a few bucks/hour...let's look at what Ms. Schabes has done to put Waukegan in a better light.

This is a serious post...what accomplishments has she made for the city?

Thank you,
Grover
im not sure what she does, but i do know what she did not do...she did not attend the ribbon cutting of a new store in the downtown area. so much for downtown development.
Well said! Not only is she the Director of "downtown development," she's also involved with Waukegan Main Street, as an ex oficio member. Time to get your act together, City of Waukegan administration. It's time you start supporting and promoting the "good" things Waukegan offers.
Exactly - Ms. Shabes performance has been terrible for the salary and expenses she has received (approximately $1 million dollars over the last 5 years) from the tax paying citizens of Waukegan. Where is the return on investment ? - plenty of existing and a few new buildings that were in the works...and still no residential development for the downtown/lakefront area? It is time for such key positions to be staffed by dedicated, professionals who deliever performance that provides all Waukegan citizens return on investment.
Another Factoid - Ms. Shabes resides in the Town of Fort Sheridan not the City of Waukegan.
Who is Robin Shabes ? I have never heard of her. Is she on the Main Street board that seems so dysfunctional with the third Director just resigning today?
I have never heard of Robin Shabes, who is paying her all this money ? I hope we aren't as a city !!
Not sure of her exact title, but it is some akin to Director of Development, and that is a city position. Actually, I just noticed her full title is in the first post in this topic.

I had an interesting conversation with the owner of the Rhapsody Cafe in Gurnee today.... While I was having lunch there, he told me all about how he met with Robin, as he had wanted to put his restaurant downtown here, in the storefront in the parking garage. He asked if the city would assist him in getting loans to retrofit the facility for restaurant use, as there are no back exits, plumbing, or exhaust systems that are necessary for a restaurant. He was told that she had no authority to assist him with that, nor could she tell him who had the authority. Then he asked if there was enough of a police presence in the area to keep the loiterers away, and she told him he had to pay extra for that. After three weeks of getting nowhere with anyone, he decided to open his restaurant (his second, the first one is in Deerfield) in Gurnee.

Too bad the city would not work with him, the food was actually pretty good. I had a really nice BLT with home fries and a small salad. The restaurant is very bright, and very clean, and the service was excellent.
double post, sorry
verenablock Wrote:Not sure of her exact title, but it is some akin to Director of Development, and that is a city position. Actually, I just noticed her full title is in the first post in this topic.

I had an interesting conversation with the owner of the Rhapsody Cafe in Gurnee today.... While I was having lunch there, he told me all about how he met with Robin, as he had wanted to put his restaurant downtown here, in the storefront in the parking garage. He asked if the city would assist him in getting loans to retrofit the facility for restaurant use, as there are no back exits, plumbing, or exhaust systems that are necessary for a restaurant. He was told that she had no authority to assist him with that, nor could she tell him who had the authority. Then he asked if there was enough of a police presence in the area to keep the loiterers away, and she told him he had to pay extra for that. After three weeks of getting nowhere with anyone, he decided to open his restaurant (his second, the first one is in Deerfield) in Gurnee.

Too bad the city would not work with him, the food was actually pretty good. I had a really nice BLT with home fries and a small salad. The restaurant is very bright, and very clean, and the service was excellent.

That is so sad. Why did this Robin Shabes scare Rhapsody away like that? I know where that is in Gurnee, right behind that Golden Corral Restaurant. Next time, we will give it a try ! Nothing downtown Waukegan other than a McDonald's at one end and Greentown at the other. Would have been a great addition. You are so informed, Ms. Block. Isn't that space still empty across from the Genesee Theater too ?
WT Reader Wrote:Isn't that space still empty across from the Genesee Theater too ?

It is indeed. Unfortunately, while that too was to be a restaurant space, it apparently was not built to minimum standards, with rear exits and grease traps.... Anyone who decides to lease that space as a restaurant will end up having to retrofit that as well.

It's a shame.... After the unfortunate incident of the Academy Theatre burning down, the city had put in such a nice little park. Then they tore that all out and built that empty monstrosity.

Informed. I like that.... I usually get called elitist.
verenablock Wrote:
WT Reader Wrote:Isn't that space still empty across from the Genesee Theater too ?

It is indeed. Unfortunately, while that too was to be a restaurant space, it apparently was not built to minimum standards, with rear exits and grease traps.... Anyone who decides to lease that space as a restaurant will end up having to retrofit that as well.

It's a shame.... After the unfortunate incident of the Academy Theatre burning down, the city had put in such a nice little park. Then they tore that all out and built that empty monstrosity.

Informed. I like that.... I usually get called elitist.

How could the City allow a building to be built for a restaurant and not even have the basics in it so it could become a restaurant without a lot more investment by a potential restranteur? That makes no sense, does it?

Ms. Block, you are very well informed. I am learning things here from you and others I never knew. Thank you.

Yes, I remember that area across from the Genesee Theater when it was a park, it really looked nice. It also allowed a better view of the theater, made it feel more special and open there. Now everything there is so crammed in, those buildings right up to the sidewalk.

That is a "monstrosity" there that got built. Great way to describe it. I really can't find any beauty in the building. It looks like something from the 1980's, not year 2009. How come it still sits empty? There should be some eatery and shops that could move in there and make it better. Go figure !
Pages: 1 2 3 4