Waukegan Talk

Full Version: What does Robin Schabes do exactly?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
it does not surprise me that ms. schabes does not live in waukegan. why should she, there is no requirement for city employees to live here. it is a shame.

recently i have had occassion to hear two different police officers tell me how far away they live. this seems unacceptable to me.
She sure seems invisible, I never see her mentioned anywhere, not in the newspaper even.
How long has this Robin Shabes been in the picture? What is she developing here for the city
as the development director?

Is it really true she is grossing $100K to do this "developing"?
verenablock Wrote:Informed. I like that.... I usually get called elitist.

they're not mutually exclusive
JazminH Wrote:
verenablock Wrote:Informed. I like that.... I usually get called elitist.

they're not mutually exclusive

Add something to the conversation or don't post at all.
As I understand Ms. Schabes has been with the City for approximately 5 years.

I've been told by several reliable sources (although not by Schabes herself, obviously) within the City that makes between $125,000-$150,000/annually.

As the Director of Lakefront & Downtown Development she is to do just that...develop these areas to make them viable, contributing and successful pockets within the City of Waukegan.

When Mayor Sabonjian took office we were shocked and appalled that he kept Ms. Schabes on the payroll. I personally have heard him refer to her as a "czar." He shared this comment to guests during this year's Mayor's Lunch at the Genesee. I was in attendance.

I agree with you all...what the hell has she done for the City of Waukegan (pardon the language)? I am a Waukegan resident who is interested and involved and want nothing but the best for this place. I am not a business owner but have a stake in the success of this city; I'm told she's more of a hinderance to progress than anything else.

Like I said in my other post...let's get off our asses and start questioning these people...You pay them! You should not be afraid to question your city leadership...as a matter of fact, as Waukegan residents WE are in the driver's seat, not them.

This is the website that "should" lead to information about Lakefront & Downtown design plans...it's utterly sad that with a city of 90,000+ residents this is all we get. Check it out! After you do, e-mail Mayor Sabonjian @ <!-- e --><a href="mailto:mayor@ci.waukegan.il.us">mayor@ci.waukegan.il.us</a><!-- e --> and Robin Schabes @ <!-- e --><a href="mailto:robin.schabes@ci.waukegan.il.us">robin.schabes@ci.waukegan.il.us</a><!-- e --> and request an updated report of current progress be posted on the site or be available in hard copy for you to pick up at City Hall. I'll proudly and respectfully be sending my e-mail this afternoon!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.waukeganweb.net/Web%20Page%20Revised/Web%20Page_Main.html">http://www.waukeganweb.net/Web%20Page%2 ... _Main.html</a><!-- m -->
admin-
thank you for the post regarding jazmin. the constant negative comments are pointless.
Sounds to me like they were looking for a lot of public assistance in the form of taxpayer-backed loan guarantees removing most financial risk. Why do you people continue to moan about the lack of amenities in this city, when you know, deep down, that they will never take hold and prosper until we get serious about law and order in this town. I would blow up their foolish plan for lakefront/ downtown development and invest in policing low level public disorder crime. I don't know if you people read much, most apparently not, but there are solutions out there that have been provided to this city government, over the years, that have fallen on deaf ears. Why can't you see the correlation between mayoral appointments, doomed-to-fail economic development plans, and your own alderman's continued support to pay for all of this foolishness? Waukegan needs an Industrial Development Department and aggressive policing, backed 100% by its taxpayers and their chosen elected officials. P.S. Your community is failing by the day, we can't afford to be a social safety net for every person that enters our country.
Harold Wrote:Sounds to me like they were looking for a lot of public assistance in the form of taxpayer-backed loan guarantees removing most financial risk. Why do you people continue to moan about the lack of amenities in this city, when you know, deep down, that they will never take hold and prosper until we get serious about law and order in this town. I would blow up their foolish plan for lakefront/ downtown development and invest in policing low level public disorder crime. I don't know if you people read much, most apparently not, but there are solutions out there that have been provided to this city government, over the years, that have fallen on deaf ears. Why can't you see the correlation between mayoral appointments, doomed-to-fail economic development plans, and your own alderman's continued support to pay for all of this foolishness? Waukegan needs an Industrial Development Department and aggressive policing, backed 100% by its taxpayers and their chosen elected officials. P.S. Your community is failing by the day, we can't afford to be a social safety net for every person that enters our country.
Harold,
Past mayors and all aldermen have never understood the importance of effectively addressing the, so called, minor nuisance crimes in this city. I think this town was ruined mainly starting back in 1993 when we entrusted it to a tie salesman bufoon who, together with his buddies, in various departments, turned out to be the antithesis of public servants... the public takers.
1993 was a pivotal time, a turning point, for the future of Waukegan. We knew the days of having an easy go of it were over for the city. Everyone wanted to be in Gurnee. The writing was on the wall for the exodus of retail and manufacturing. If we had effective leadership back then we might have been able to forumulate a plan to keep Waukegan viable in this transition. But we didn't have effective leadership. We had a failed tie salesman. And the boys over on North Ave. were happily picking the carcass clean for the next 15 years.
That maybe true Danno - but
WHAT are we to do now?
We need a leader now.
We need positive direction.
Home owners in Waukegan need HOPE.
The school district needs to be overhauled as well. I, for one, am sick of being called 'elitist' because I think the students in Waukegan deserve better than what we're offering them. We need to be raising expectations, not lowering them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4