The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 45 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 45 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 874 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 874 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4984 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4984 errorHandler->error
/global.php 874 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6987 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6987 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 5011 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6987 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5011 is_member
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1399 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1399 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions.php 1364 fetch_forum_permissions
/inc/functions.php 2876 forum_permissions
/showthread.php 618 build_forum_jump
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1399 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$ratings_update_error - Line: 5 - File: showthread.php(729) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(729) : eval()'d code 5 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 729 eval
File Line Function
/inc/functions_user.php 731 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 403 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1063 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(471) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(471) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 471 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 656 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 656 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 714 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 714 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 719 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 719 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1497 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1497 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Story - Great Musician
A great story about a great Waukegan musician.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://exposekenosha.com/2008/12/01/open-mic-a-boon-for-local-music-fans/#more-1535">http://exposekenosha.com/2008/12/01/ope ... #more-1535</a><!-- m -->

Open mic a boon for local music fans . . .

December 1st, 2008 | As published in the Kenosha News, EK62, "Let Them Eat Cheesecake", The Nook Café & Gallery, Open Mic, Downtown Kenosha

BY BILL ROBBINS

Chris Sipos is seen here playing at an open mic night at The Nook in downtown Kenosha. The Waukegan based musician hosts the open mic event every Monday night. KENOSHA NEWS PHOTO BY BILL SIEL

It’s live and it’s right here.

For fans of live music, Kenosha offers an exceptional array of entertainment opportunities within walking distance.

So says Waukegan, Ill., resident Chris Sipos, who runs the sound system and performs at the Monday night open mic at the downtown Nook Cafe and Gallery.

He’s been coming to the relatively new open mic night at the Nook for several months, and has attended Mark Paffrath’s Wednesday night open mic at TG’s Bar and Restaurant for years.

“I really like Kenosha,” said Sipos, a singer, guitarist and songwriter. “That’s why I’ve been coming up here so much. It’s like everyone you meet is in a band or is an artist or whatever.”

The downtown-area music scene is thriving, he said.
“In Waugekan, there’s no place where you can walk down a strip and have so many places with live music,” he said.

That live-music strip extends roughly from the Nook (and directly across the street, Carolyn’s Coffee Connection) north to TG’s, at 4120 Seventh Ave.

Sipos visited downtown Kenosha on a recent “Second Saturday,” in which art galleries, coffee shops and other businesses feature live music beyond what’s already on tap at downtown nightclubs such as Cooler Near the Lake, Wine Knot, Pazzo and Lazybird.

“There were people playing everywhere,” he said. “It was amazing. There were bands and there were duos and solo acts. That doesn’t exist in Waukegan or any Chicago suburb. You have to go to Chicago for that kind of thing.”

And that’s wonderful for local live-music fans, he said.
“People like to move around and see different performers and different styles,” he said. “It’s great. And I love just being around that.”

A longtime Waukegan based musician who is self taught on acoustic guitar, Sipos employs a lively finger-picking style. He uses a plastic pick held between his thumb and index finger and plucks as well with the other three fingers to produce a rich pallet of engaging sounds.

“I started doing that because when I was in college I didn’t have band anymore, and I was a bass player before that,” he said.

“I wanted to play out, and I just kind of taught myself. Later on I found out that (acclaimed guitarist) Richard Thomson was finger-picking the same way. I figured, well, this might not be a bad way to go.”

He picks that way naturally.

“I don’t think about it at all,” he said. “I’m not one of those guys who analyzes some kind of picking pattern. I just do it the way I do it. I don’t really have any interest in doing anything exactly like anybody else. What’s the point?”

He describes his original music as acoustic, alternative and Americana, the latter of which includes everything from Delta blues to early American standards.

“It’s a weird thing because I grew up with a lot of progressive rock,” Sipos said. “I saw every Rush concert from 1978 to 1990-something. I liked Yes and King Crimson and all that.

“But at some point I realized those songs didn’t mean anything to me. And then I discovered Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Tom Waites and other real songwriters. So I’ve kind of combined the two genres. I play a kind of progressive acoustic.”

Sipos has hosted his own Thursday night open mic events at the Green Town Tavern (formerly Hussey’s) in Waukegan for about 10 years, as well as other places in the region.

He has played in numerous bands, most recently the Downhome Sophisticates, which, unlike his
acoustic shows, plays covers.

A few months ago, Sipos dropped in for the open mic at the Nook as a participant. Not long after, he volunteered to bring in his P.A. system and run sound for the night, free of charge.

“I wanted to improve the sound quality,” he said. “Those things are important to me.”

He also plays some tunes at the open mic, in which musicians can do three songs and/or play for 15 minutes. Comedians, poets and novelists also participate, he said.

It’s going well, Sipos said. A recent night attracted 15 participants.

“The place was full,” he said. “We went from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m.”

Sipos has a recording studio in his home and has recorded CDs featuring his original music and covers performed by his bands.

He loves performing.

“It’s what I do,” he said. “I’ve been doing it so long I don’t even think about it. But then again, if I don’t have a show on the weekend I’m like, I need to play. It’s the only time I really feel right — doing a show, working. That’s why I love doing open mics. It keeps me busy, plus I love getting other people up to do their things.”

He’s not judgmental about the performers courageous enough to step up to the microphone.
“I’m into not being overly critical,” he said.

“I try to keep everything really laid back and not pretentious. Just get up and play, and don’t worry about it. Have fun. ”