Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Honor Bound-- The Oath of Enlistment's Clever Trap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I thank the good lord for our brave men and women serving our country in the armed forces, for they understand the true essence of public service.

CommentsHonor Bound - The Oath of Enlistment's Clever Trap
by Chris Carter

05/11/2010

Upon entering the United States Armed Forces, federal law requires everyone to swear the oath of enlistment. But when we swear the oath, just what are we obligated to – and for how long?

The Oath of Enlistment in its current form:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The wording of the Oath for Commissioned Officers varies slightly, but the point is the same:

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

When I swore the oath as a baby-faced seventeen year-old, I felt as if I had been reborn. That day I became part of something much larger than myself. Instead of playing football and delivering furniture, I was now safeguarding my Constitution and way of life. It was an experience I will never forget.

Not long ago, however, I realized that there is a catch to the oath of enlistment. While talking to an old friend who had served in the Marine Corps, he asked me if I signed anything releasing me from my oath on the day I separated from the military. Thinking back, I remember signing more papers that day than everything I have signed collectively since. But I could not recall any document releasing me from my oath. It was then that I realized that I had no choice. An oath is an oath.

Once I considered the cleverly-designed trap I had fallen into, the line I had previously pondered about - "all enemies, foreign or domestic" - suddenly became clear. The Constitution isn't meant to be supported and defended solely by the men and women wearing the uniform. And the threats don't always come from foreign shores.

All Americans have a civic duty to support and defend the Constitution, but veterans are honor bound. Our days of grabbing a rifle and jumping out of airplanes may be behind us, but those tasks are in the capable hands of a younger generation now. The military can handle the threats overseas, but in order to do so, they require the support of patriots back home. In order to achieve victory in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, we must elect politicians who will support the troops. When Congress debates legislation that erodes our liberty or security, the military needs us to voice our concerns. We must make contacting our elected officials as much a part of our day as brushing our teeth. The task may appear daunting, but it pales in comparison to the sacrifice of the millions of patriots who came before us.

The military won't let us down, so it is up to us not to let them down.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the United States has 23.2 million military veterans. Together with 3 million active duty, reserve, or National Guard troops, we constitute nearly 9 percent of all Americans. Compared to 309 million Americans, that number may not sound staggering, but not all Americans vote. If all veterans and military members would have voted in the 2008 presidential election, veterans and military members would have accounted for one in five votes. We would have represented nearly one out of three votes in the 2006 mid-term elections, which traditionally have less turnout.

If the entire veteran community mobilized, we would form a demographic so large that no politician could afford to ignore us.

When we transitioned to the civilian world, we didn't leave our responsibilities to this country behind, we simply traded our rifles for voting booths and telephones.

I think back to the day when I decided to join the military. The liberty and security paid for by the blood of millions of American patriots before me was such that I was willing to sacrifice my life if necessary in order to preserve it for future generations. Years later, our nation's founding document has not lost its luster and importance to me.

The President is no longer my Commander-in-Chief. And I no longer have officers above me, nor do I fall under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice. However, the most important part of the oath still does - and always will – apply. Therefore, I have reaffirmed my oath to “support and defend the Constitution.” I pray that others will do so as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Carter is the Director of the Victory Institute -- an action institution and veterans service organization promoting matters that affect the liberty and security of the American family.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sooo what does the cited author of this work, Mr. Chris Cart, mean in the last paragraph "The President is no longer my Commander-in-Chief." ??

Last I heard, President Obama was ELECTED to the Presidency by The American People. He did not "take over" he was ELECTED.

Further, it is very clear from this article that Mr. Carter takes his oath as a former member of the U S Military "to support and defend the U S Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic" as legitimate grounds for him and all other U S Military veterans to rise up and harm the President of the United States.

Just who is Mr. Carter to arbitrarily and capriciously ON HIS OWN decide that President Obama is an Enemy of the U S Constitution and no longer his
"Commander-in-Chief" worthy of armed attack??
No Judge and Jury here, Mr. Carter seems to see only Hmself and Like-Minded Veterans and Supporters as THE SUPREME ARBITERS of RIGHT and WRONG in these here United States.

And ClassicalLib, by your very posting of this article by Mr. Carter and then your comment above which reads "I thank the good lord for our brave men and women serving our country in the armed forces, for they understand the true essence of public service" mean that you support such Mr. Carter in his very implied call for armed insurrection against the the duly elected President of the United States?

Will you answer this or follow your typical M O by just cutting and pasting more and more articles to flood this thread to "bury" my question to purposefully prevent further discussion of your apparant advocacy of seditious, anarchistic and violent activity against the duly elected President of the United States of America ?????

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

-- WT Reader
Quote:WTREADER WRONGFULLY IMPLIES, And ClassicalLib, by your very posting of this article by Mr. Carter and then your comment above which reads "I thank the good lord for our brave men and women serving our country in the armed forces, for they understand the true essence of public service" mean that you support such Mr. Carter in his very implied call for armed insurrection against the the duly elected President of the United States?

WTREADER, President Obama is not my commander-in-chief, nor is he yours, unless you have recently enlisted in the military. He is my president, for he is the commander-in-chief of our armed forces. The author did mention that he is no longer in the military but, in your usual haste to point out the boogie man, you stuck your foot in your mouth. If you can't stick with the facts, you're going to have to do a much better job of cloaking your personal agenda. You're sooo obvious.
ClassicalLib17 Wrote:
Quote:WTREADER WRONGFULLY IMPLIES, And ClassicalLib, by your very posting of this article by Mr. Carter and then your comment above which reads "I thank the good lord for our brave men and women serving our country in the armed forces, for they understand the true essence of public service" mean that you support such Mr. Carter in his very implied call for armed insurrection against the the duly elected President of the United States?

WTREADER, President Obama is not my commander-in-chief, nor is he yours, unless you have recently enlisted in the military. He is my president, for he is the commander-in-chief of our armed forces. The author did mention that he is no longer in the military, but in your usual haste to point out the boogie man, you stuck your foot in your mouth. If you can't stick with the facts, you're going to have to do a much better job of cloaking your personal agenda. You're sooo obvious.

Quite contrare, I have read Mr. Carter absolutely correctly.

The "oath" he refers to is the U S mililtary oath which says in part, .."I will protect and defend the U S Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic...."

As Director of the Victory Institute, Carter is also Director of the "action institution" part of it, which he states promotes "matters that affect the liberty and security of the American family.

Carter clearly sees President Obama as a domestic "threat" which he no longer being in the U S Military is free to disobey and defend against, having taken The Oath which somehow in his warped mind still sticks. By doing so, he is crazily rationalizing the use of force against The President and thereby the U S Government and the law-abiding, peace-loving people of the United States.

Your comments above this article you purposefully publish here are done to promote Carter's seditious and violent perspectives, which by doing so you advocate, too.

So speak for yourself ! It is not I but YOU who have a "personal agenda" and it is YOU who are so obvious in your outright bellicose contempt of our President and the Rule of Law here in these United States of America.

-- WT Reader
Why do you refuse to acknowledge that the Progressive movement has coopted the Democrat Party? If you would just read my posts with an open mind and accept the truth, you could attain deliverance from your progressive chains. I will continue to pray for your epiphany. God bless you.
ClassicalLib17 Wrote:That is just plain disgraceful. Why can't you admit when you're wrong? Or, maybe you think our veterans don't have a right to voice their own opinions, as you do? I will continue to pray for your epiphany. God bless you.

My comments have absolutely nothing to do with veterans havng a right to voice their own opinions! My comments are directed to one veteran specifically, Mr. Chris Carter, who you purposefully published here who wrongly sees our President as a "domestic enemy" and is inciting insurrection against him and the government of the United States of America. A point of view you also endorse.

That is what my comment is about, and you know IT.

Oh, by the way, I didn't ask for your patronizing, condescending "prayers" and I don't want them. And I did not ask and don't need you to invoke the name of the Creator to "bless me" either. I leave that up to a Man of the Cloth to do that, not you.

-- WT Reader
WT Reader Wrote:
ClassicalLib17 Wrote:That is just plain disgraceful. Why can't you admit when you're wrong? Or, maybe you think our veterans don't have a right to voice their own opinions, as you do? I will continue to pray for your epiphany. God bless you.

My comments have absolutely nothing to do with veterans havng a right to voice their own opinions! My comments are directed to one veteran specifically, Mr. Chris Carter, who you purposefully published here who wrongly sees our President as a "domestic enemy" and is inciting insurrection against him and the government of the United States of America. A point of view you also endorse.

Oh, by the way, I didn't ask for your patronizing, condescending "prayers" and I don't want them. And I did not ask and don't need you to invoke the name of the Creator to "bless me" either. I leave that up to a Man of the Cloth to do that, not you.

-- WT Reader
It never fails to amuse me as to how people "use" God as a way to bolster their own weakness and uncertainty in discussion.
Danno Wrote:
WT Reader Wrote:

-- WT Reader
It never fails to amuse me as to how people "use" God as a way to bolster their own weakness and uncertainty in discussion.

For sure, Danno. ClassLib's rebuttals became weaker and weaker all the time, so s/he finally invokes the Almighty to "bless me" for my "wayward and misled ways."

LOL, I sure didn't seek or need his/her condescending, superior blessing! Notice how quiet s/he now is. NP, s/he will just move on and post scores more of long and rambling posts to clutter this entire thread and smokescreen his/her real seditous and violent perspectives until s/he stumbles again and let's us see his/her real personal agenda soo chillingly obvious.

Then when all else fails, s/he will trot out the Almighty again who is of course is always on his/her side. And so IT goes. :roll: :roll:

-- WT Reader
I don't understand why you felt the need to distort Mr. Carter's message? It's obvious that no one else read it that way. Americans are waking up to the fraud that is Progressivism. I still believe you can be saved, if you would just open your mind to the truth. I suggest you buy a copy of Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged' and read it. If you need more suggestions after that you can send me a private message and I will provide you with a more complete reading list.
Aren't all citizens of any given country, to a point, soldiers?
Pages: 1 2