Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Famous quotes on Patriotism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This one is for the Northern Illinois Patriots - some great thinkers on patriotism... some great quotes...

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious.
Oscar Wilde

Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons.
Bertrand Russell

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.
George Bernard Shaw

The greater the state, the more wrong and cruel its patriotism, and the greater is the sum of suffering upon which its power is founded.
Leo Tolstoy

The love of one's country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?
Pablo Casals

The most tragic paradox of our time is to be found in the failure of nation-states to recognize the imperatives of internationalism.
Earl Warren

To me, it seems a dreadful indignity to have a soul controlled by geography.
George Santayana

True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.
Clarence Darrow

We do not consider patriotism desirable if it contradicts civilized behavior.
Friedrich Durrenmatt

You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
George Bernard Shaw

A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.
George William Curtis

A nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbours.
William Ralph Inge

Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarrelled with him?
Blaise Pascal

Each nation feels superior to other nations. That breeds patriotism - and wars.
Dale Carnegie

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
Albert Einstein

I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world.
Diogenes

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a citizen of the world.
Eugene V. Debs

I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
James A. Baldwin

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
Voltaire

It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long survive when men have seen the Earth in its true perspective as a single small globe against the stars.
Arthur C. Clarke

Nationalism is a silly cock crowing on his own dunghill.
Richard Aldington

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.
Albert Einstein

Patriotism is a kind of religion; it is the egg from which wars are hatched.
Guy de Maupassant

Patriotism is easy to understand in America. It means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.
Calvin Coolidge

Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.
Adlai E. Stevenson

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles.
George Jean Nathan

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.
Mark Twain
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

<Samuel Adams>

I suppose if you wanted to *modernize* this quote you could replace wealth with health.
I love Sam Adams. Your modernization suggestion hits the nail on the head. I didn't find but two quotes that reflected the essence of American patriotism, those coming from Calvin Coolidge and Mark Twain. I won't even consider reading George Bernard Shaw. Thank you Hoopla, for your astute contribution.
Hoopla Wrote:If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

<Samuel Adams>

I suppose if you wanted to *modernize* this quote you could replace wealth with health.
If you want to modernize it just switch the words wealth and liberty around and while you are at it switch servitude and freedom too. Nice quote if you are living in the 1770's. I think I'll just stubbornly adhere to the Puritan religion instead. It's just as relevant.
Classiclib17 - hoopla - I see neither of you want to define the concept of freedom or liberty but you like to use those words a lot! Are they meaningless words to you?
A thinking person would rightfully conceptualize that Sam Adams and his fellow revolutionaries would not be proposing the perpetuation of ideas that are 250 years old if they were around today. They would be proposing a much better society based on the totality of the current state of general knowledge. They would be forward thinking not backward and stagnating like so many are today.
Danno Wrote:A thinking person would rightfully conceptualize .............

OK Danno me boy, I'll get back to you tomorrow. I need a little time to think Smile
Quote:Classiclib17 - hoopla - I see neither of you want to define the concept of freedom or liberty but you like to use those words a lot! Are they meaningless words to you?Danno

Private message
Danno, Why don't you spend a few hours, days, weeks, months, years, or whatever amount of time you need to read and comprehend the simple, powerful document, called the Constitution of The United States of America? Your problem seems to be, as others have gently pointed out , that your political and social philosophies have all been tried in the past and they have proven to be a disaster-- economically, socially, and governmentally. Look at Greece. Matter of fact, why don't you sign on to some radical union government workers blog there and send them your material? I'm confident that most of those, molotov cocktail throwing, parasites would welcome you as a 'brotha from anotha'. The revolution will be televised televised. Good luck to you in your future internet journeys.
ClassicalLib17 Wrote:
Quote:Classiclib17 - hoopla - I see neither of you want to define the concept of freedom or liberty but you like to use those words a lot! Are they meaningless words to you?Danno

Private message
Danno, Why don't you spend a few hours, days, weeks, months, years, or whatever amount of time you need to read and comprehend the simple, powerful document, called the Constitution of The United States of America? Your problem seems to be, as others have gently pointed out , that your political and social philosophies have all been tried in the past and they have proven to be a disaster-- economically, socially, and governmentally. Look at Greece. Matter of fact, why don't you sign on to some radical union government workers blog there and send them your material? I'm confident that most of those, molotov cocktail throwing, parasites would welcome you as a 'brotha from anotha'. The revolution will be televised televised. Good luck to you in your future internet journeys.
Your problem is that you know nothing and yet you think you know everything. You need to spend some time thinking about that.
Nothing, I repeat NOTHING that is proposed in the Zeitgeist movement has been "tried in the past". In my opinion the Constitution was fine for 250 years ago but it and the principles it promotes are not as relevant and applicable today. I used to love the Constitution. Not anymore. It perpetuates a broken and corrupt system. If you don't think so just look at the facts and statistics. If the Founding Fathers were alive today I have a feeling that most of them would be Zeitgeist proponents for the Founding Fathers were on the cutting edge of designing a better society by using every bit of current knowledge and technology.

The MAIN HUGE MASSIVE problem I see today is that people are too stupid or too afraid to step outside their indoctrinations and brainwashing and think for themselves, to think freely. I see a lot of that in you and I feel sorry for you because of it.