Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Arrested and falsely accused.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Woman awarded $9 million after Walmart sends her to jail

Posted on March 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM
Updated Sunday, Mar 28 at 6:04 PM
Related:
• Woman arrested as she attempts to cash valid money orders
HOUSTON -- A Harris County civil jury has ordered Walmart pay a Houston woman $9 million after she was arrested and falsely accused of forgery.

Nitra Gipson, a former Texas Southern University student, tried to cash $4,100 in Walmart money orders at the store in Meyer park back in 2008.

Gipson needed to pay for her last two semesters at TSU, so she sold her car and was paid $4,100 in Walmart money orders.

However, the store manager thought the money orders were fake, called police and insisted she be charged with forgery.

Gipson spent two days in jail even though those money orders were legitimate.

A spokesman says Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is reviewing legal options after a jury reached a $9 million verdict in favor of a Houston woman who was wrongly arrested at one of the company’s stores.
Wal-Mart spokesman David Tovar said Sunday the world’s largest retailer believes the verdict reached Friday in a Houston court was "not supported by the facts of the case."
Tovar says Gipson was arrested on outstanding traffic warrants, not the money orders.
Next article Teachers union says HISD is sitting on millions of dollars
Leave your comment
Submit

We welcome your comments on this story's topic. Off-topic comments, personal attacks, and inappropriate language may be flagged and removed, and comment privileges blocked, per our Terms of Service. Thanks for keeping the comments space respectful.
Comments: Displaying 1 - 15 of 57

Daddy2 said on March 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM
The store manager made a bad call and the store should make a mends. I don't know if i agree with the amount. But, it was not my call. I think that Wal-Mart should pay for her college, buy her a new car, court cost attorney fees etc, to have her record returned to what it was before, and a million or two to help her along her way. If she was indeed arrested on traffic warrants, maybe she was going to use the money from the money orders to clear up the warrants and pay for her college. She did just sell her car. Next time, get cash.

Borninusa said on March 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM
Good for her! False imprisonment is very serious. It can destroy your life. She now has to fight to get the arrest expunged from her record. This is not an easy thing to do. And even after she wins the judgment to clear her record, the government often takes years before they actually do so. How would any of you like to have a criminal record when you've done nothing criminal? And yes, her final take will be far less than $9 million.
9 million for two days in jail that’s not easy to be in jail for an hour it’s horrible and not mention degrading. It does have a very negative effect on your life in everyway.
The last person that had a personal bone to pick with the district and decided to do it here was permanently banned.

Just an FYI.