Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Progressive movement v. private property rights
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When 'Kelo" was decided in 2005 it, and the possibility of using it here in Waukegan to clean up blighted areas was discussed on the old TOWN forum. It would be to Waukegan's advantage to have a developer come in and use it on the Southeast side of Waukegan. The only problem is that some people hung on to certain property, paid property taxes for years, with the hope that they might profit when the right time came, if it came. With the Kelo ruling they could get cheated out of that.

With that said, the whole idea that people can "own" property is rather insane. We are merely temporary custodians of the land. A little lady robin bird tried to teach me that last spring when she would get very upset with me when I came too close to her nest and eggs which were in ""my" backyard. She was telling me that she had a right to the property too... I agreed. Also consider that when it because possible for people to "own" property it also became possible for government to tax it.
Also if the concept of ownership is considered equal to the free use of the property, that a person can use the property as long as he pays for it, then that also is an insane concept. It is tantamount to charging someone to breathe the air.