Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Storefront Window Signage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Greetings all!

...Just a question. Does anyone know if Waukegan has any ordanance dictating "signage" in business storefront windows?

Please correct me if you feel differently, but it seems that Waukegan has become a city filled with storefronts advertising goods & services in "handwritten," less than professional signs. I think it's safe to say these signs tend to be in Spanish. My opinion, but they look like doodoo.

I mean, what's the deal with the grande "TACOS" tarp that covers the entrance of the Chapala restaurant on Grand Avenue (where Chuck-E-Cheese used to be)?

Drive east down Washington...almost each & every storefront has a million little crappy-looking signs in the window advertising "regalos, tacos, flores, sopa, etc."

Check out the "new" Mexican restuarant on Genesee Street. They've got all of these handwritten, sloppy signs in the windows...it looks simply terrible! We have such lovely little stores down there...The BRICK, Balderdash, The Genesee, Pierce Florist etc. who all strive to have their storefront looking exceptional...then we allow this to move in and crap up the street? I'm sorry, but it really gets me upset! Waukegan deserves better.

Seriously, how do I find out if there is some sort of ordanance about signage?
I found it for you; I won't read it for you. Any time you have a question simply type in your search words and press enter. http://www.waukeganweb.net/Web%20Page%20...ecured.pdf
colorful signs around town

[Image: july09number3002.jpg]

[Image: january06057.jpg]

[Image: waukegan3020.jpg]

[Image: waukegan3013.jpg]

[Image: waukegan3014.jpg]
There was a black strip above the entrance that said, "We speak English here."

[Image: waukegan06047.jpg]
The old post office.
I know! It pains me to see those photos. We look like the Texas-Mexica border.

Honestly folks...support any and EVERY business in Waukegan that has English signage. It pains me to say that, because I believe everyone deserves a chance to succeed, but come-on...the photos speak for themselves. Don't let Waukegan go down the pipes.

Here is a short list, to begin conversation of establishments that I frequent.

The Genesee Theatre (one of Waukegan's LAST gems)
Ace Hardware (I go to the one on Genesee Street as much as possible, but will head to Lewis/Yorkhouse if necessary)
Pierce Florist
Balderdash Collection
Horsefeathers (just 'cuz it's fun)
The BRICK
Subway (and of them in Waukegan are great!)
Greentown
Fongs
Grand County Cafe (yummy sandwiches)
Louies

These are just a few...

Where do you shop? What stores should we really be supporting in Waukegan? Let's get a good list going!!
i'll take hand made signs over DEAD plants in front of a FLORIST any day.
the plants in front of pierce florist have been dead for MONTHS now.
fintan1010 Wrote:i'll take hand made signs over DEAD plants in front of a FLORIST any day.
the plants in front of pierce florist have been dead for MONTHS now.

Wow. So negative!
That's because for the last 4 months it's been either Fall or Winter. Plants tend not to do so well.

Have you ever gone inside? It's very nice and flowers they deliver are great!

Lighten up...it's COLD outside.
wow, if jazmin is calling me negative, i must really sound crabby.

but here's an idea...if you own a floral shop and it's fall or winter, bring the plants inside.
dead plants in front of any type of store are an eye sore.

the owner of this shop is a board member of waukegan main street and i feel that someone in that position should do a better job of representing the downtown area.
I AGREE. All of those signs makes a person wonder just where in hell am I? Did I cross over the Border and didn't know it? (Especially if you're full of LEGAL DRUGS) Smile Case in point: I've opened a Restaurant and on the windows I've written HAMHOCKS, GREENS, CORNBREAD, ETC. How long do you think it would take for the CODE ENFORCER to pay me a visit? I hope the Mayor read these comments and clean that mess up. How does our City look to out-of-towners?
I can only surmise from your continuous bleating on this issue that you are waiting for me to point you in the right direction. I did the research for you, let's see if you take the initiative to educate yourselves. Once again, here is your link and the pertinent articles in the ordinance. http://www.waukeganweb.net/Web%20Page%20...ecured.pdf. Articles 3.6, 4.11.14, and 9.2.4. In closing, I have to say that it appears our sign ordinance is not only ignored by alot of businesses, but by our City, as well. Harold Beadling
Pages: 1 2 3 4