Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Orchard Hills Street Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did I read this correctly?

The Waukegan Park District is naming the entry drive to the new Orchard Hills sports complex in honor of Wayne Motley?

From all the arguments put forth when originally considering and debating this project, I seem to recall the Park District Board pointing out that not only was this complex needed, but it fit within the mission of Park District in general.

So while executing the duties of their office, guided and within the mission that was prescribed years before them, essentially doing their jobs as duly elected stewards of the office; it seemed appropriate to name the main entry drive in honor of one of their own?

Surely there are dozens more deserving of that honor woven into the rich and storied history of our City. Or perhaps if truly bent on naming the main avenue for "someone" it seems that the due dillegence of seeking out an individual who truly acts as an inspiration, or embodies the sprit of all that the Waukegan Park District holds sacred would be minimally expected by the Board.

With such a bold project I would suspect that every step taken would be well calculated and designed to maximize the effort put forth. Unfortunately this announcement wreaks of old time Waukegan, self serving and close minded. As was well publicized, Mr. Motley was a huge supporter of the effort, but certainly he was not the only one. And to miss a ceromonial opportunity to "spread the love" region wide is troubling, but unfortunately expected.

For all we know, and with all due respect, Mr. Motley might become a legend locally and be well deserving of the recognition, but he is certainly not there yet.
My first thought was, "when did Wayne die?"

Now all the comissioners and alderman will be trying to get something with their name on it. Who wants to live on TenPas Terrace or Cunningham Circle?
I'll be waiting for the public works dispatch: huge backup on Wayne Motley because somebody forgot to plow Wayne Motley. Someone get over there pronto and plow Wayne Motley to releive the backup.
TypesWithFist Wrote:My first thought was, "when did Wayne die?"

Now all the comissioners and alderman will be trying to get something with their name on it. Who wants to live on TenPas Terrace or Cunningham Circle?
maybe we should save those names for when we start naming sewer lines?
sqeeqy Wrote:I'll be waiting for the public works dispatch: huge backup on Wayne Motley because somebody forgot to plow Wayne Motley. Someone get over there pronto and plow Wayne Motley to releive the backup.

That will never happen. Wayne Motley is always plowed.
Gosh Wayno, "I'm impressed, a street name?" You must be a great, great man! Our city is the jewel of the lakefront. You're so wise. Excuse me while I go vomit! Harold Beadling