Waukegan Talk

Full Version: GUNS at Waukegan High School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just told that there were several (3 or 4) guns found today at WHS!

My source (a WHS student at Washington campus) told me that all students were being held on campus until each one can be searched. From what he said, three guns were confiscated and a fourth was seen and police are there looking for it. He said each student is being frisked, bags and lockers searched before they could leave campus.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

This is VERY SCARY !
I've heard basically the same thing. Guns were seen but can't be located...I've also heard that there were a couple kids that were put in the back of a squad.

Received a call around 4:30 stating the campus was on lockdown and all after-school activities were cancelled, although the Varsity Volleyball team will be playing at 6. Further information will be forthcoming..(as per the school-call). We'll see how long before they tell us what happened....
Why frisk. Don't they have a metal detector? Who is doing the frisking? Security? Waukegan Police?
Frankzilch Wrote:Why frisk. Don't they have a metal detector? Who is doing the frisking? Security? Waukegan Police?

Good question. Also, if this is true, how did the guns get IN the school in the first place?? Aren't they using the metal detectors??
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10/waukegan-high-school-lockdown-washington-street.html">http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009 ... treet.html</a><!-- m -->
i am a student who was at the building. Here is was happened. There were 2 guns brought into school by freshman. They were in the boys locker room. A gym teacher saw it and caught one of the kids and the other one took off. Half way through seventh period the school was put on a lockdown. We were locked in our classrooms for about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours. The security and police had to check the school and lockers for the other gun. Classes were let out one by one and upon leaving the building we walked through metal detectors and put our bags through a scanner.
I should not have to be scared to go to school. The administration did a good job reacting to this, but how did the guns get in??? I am a senior and so far many things have been ruined for me this year. First the school changed to a new program which they were not ready to do (half the kids didnt get schedules until the 2nd week of school, second the bonfire was canceled because of gangs, third the guns, and 4th my vball senior night was canceled. It is still the 1st quarter of school.
Just got the second call from the associate Principal. He stated about 2 a teacher was informed there was a student with a gun in the locker room. They notified security and this person was was apprehended. He went on to say during the investigation, it was found out that there may be another gun on the premises, but none was found. Classes dismissed one by one and kids went through the metal detectors. All kids were out of the school by 5:00, and then lockers were checked.

Voice of a dog, I am very sorry your senior year is being so messed up. This should be your best year of high school and it doesn't sound anything like it should be. What on earth can we, as a community do to help these kids out?? This is getting rediculous, and it's the good kids paying the price!

Again I ask, how in the hell did a gun (or more) get on campus in the first place?? What is going to be done to make sure this doesn't happen again?? Obviously the metal detectors aren't working or the people running them aren't. I guess they're there to give the kids a false sense of security...Ohhhh how I want answsers.... :evil: :evil:
Gun in school
Waukegan student, 15, questioned after weapon discovered
Comments

October 22, 2009
By KENDRICK MARSHALL <!-- e --><a href="mailto:kmarshall@scn1.com">kmarshall@scn1.com</a><!-- e -->

WAUKEGAN — Waukegan High School’s Washington Street Campus was placed on lockdown for several hours Wednesday after a student was found with a gun in the building.
A 15-year-old male student was taken to the Waukegan Police Department and interviewed by authorities, said Lt. Edward Fitzgerald
As of Wednesday night the unidentified teenager was not charged.

Waukegan police officer Carlos Perez guards a door at Waukegan High School at the Washington Street Campus after telling parent Ofelia Garcia he doesn't know when the students will be let out during a lockdown at the school.
(Michael Schmidt/News-Sun)

Around 2:30 p.m., a student reported to a physical education teacher that another student in the locker room was carrying a handgun.
The teacher then contacted another school official who chased the student out of the building, where he was apprehended and an unloaded 9mm handgun was recovered, said William Newby, executive director of safety and security at the school.
The school was then placed on lockdown as a precaution while school security and police looked for a possible second gun. That weapon was not found after several hours of searching, authorities said.
Bonnie Kuss, assistant to Waukegan Superintendent Donald Bautiste, said earlier in the afternoon there was “a community issue and that no students were harmed.
All of the students were housed inside the 1011 Washington St. building until dismissal and the weapons search completed.
Just before 4 p.m. the 1,500 students exited one class at a time through metal detectors to the chagrin of concerned parents who waited nearly an hour for their children to finally trickle out of the building.
By 5 p.m., the campus was cleared of all students and officials began a locker search detail. No other weapons were uncovered.
“We can reasonably guarantee that every crevice of the school has been checked,” Newby said.
Since students were not allowed to return to their lockers following the lockdown, Pace buses will allow students to ride to school today without a bus pass, officials said.
Because of the nature of the incident, District 60 canceled all events scheduled at the Washington Campus on Wednesday. Classes are expected to resume as scheduled today, school officials said.
The gun in the Waukegan school was the second in as many months in a Lake County high school.
On Sept. 18, three Warren Township High School students were arrested by Gurnee police after an unloaded small-caliber handgun was discovered hidden in a bathroom ceiling at the District 121 O’Plaine Campus. Three 15-year-old males from Park City, unincorporated Warren Township and Gurnee were charged in that incident.
Typical---keep lying administration!

Teacher chased the kid down and took the gun off him. When the teacher came back to the school with the gun and the kid he gave the gun to the cops. Well done for teacher involved in a scary situation! I hope the admin doesnt think they did something.
Heard the same thing...a physical education teacher dealt with it. He probably won't get the credit he is due for handling the situation. I also heard that the Superintendent is out of town.
Pages: 1 2