Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Waukegan Public Library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is going on with the Waukegan Public Library? The new releases book shelf has a scant dozen titles (some of which are a year old). The Spanish new DVD/CD/book collection is larger than the English. Is our local library now unfriendly to native English speakers/readers?
No, I think they are probably looking at who uses the library. The library has a limited budget. It would not make sense to spend funds on materials that will not be checked out. Like it or not, Waukegan has a large Spanish speaking popluation. Many native Spanish speakers prefer to read/watch TV, etc. in Spanish even thought they can also read/speak English. It is where their fluency is and so that is what they are drawn to. At least they are using the library. It would be a shame to see it close due to lack of visitors.
So I have to go to Gurnee to check out books? Mind blowing...
Yes, unless you can convince a larger population of English speaking/reading people to frequent the Waukegan library. If the need was there, you would see a greater number of English materials become available.
We're trying to get a more affluent and younger class of people to move into the community and the biggest obstacle is the public schools and next would be the reputation of Waukegan as being a satellite community for Mexico. Walking into a public library in the United States and not able to find recently reviewed materials in english does not speak well to an educated and professional class of people. Again, I find it offensive that I have to drive to another town to check out books when as an investor in Waukegan, my tax money, isn't spent the way it should be regarding the local library.
I think it is time to stop blaming hispanics for the demise of Waukegan. Come on, you don't think reports of major budget problems, police and fire lay offs and similar infrastructure woes turn people off? Why would someone choose to move somewhere when the stability of the city is in question? Not to mention the school issues. The Hispanics do not govern the city. A percentage of them can not even vote.
Not blaming Hispanics. Blaming the culture of not assimilating into American society/culture. Not learning the common language (english), not taking responsibility to become somewhat educated and good neighbors by following local, state and national laws and rules of common decency. A tax base that is unfairly balanced against those that follow the rules and laws. A school system out of whack and not educating the children of those who follow the rules and laws. A hospital emergency room burdened with sniffles, pregnancy tests and various "owies." A slalom course of uninsured, no driver's license, intoxicated motorists. Many legal Hispanics resent the entitlement that foreign nationals demand from a tax base that is already over burdened. It is simple common sense.
Waukegan6th Wrote:Not blaming Hispanics. Blaming the culture of not assimilating into American society/culture. Not learning the common language (english), not taking responsibility to become somewhat educated and good neighbors by following local, state and national laws and rules of common decency. A tax base that is unfairly balanced against those that follow the rules and laws. A school system out of whack and not educating the children of those who follow the rules and laws. A hospital emergency room burdened with sniffles, pregnancy tests and various "owies." A slalom course of uninsured, no driver's license, intoxicated motorists. Many legal Hispanics resent the entitlement that foreign nationals demand from a tax base that is already over burdened. It is simple common sense.

Well said Waukegan6th! Its pretty pathetic if the Waukegan library isn't meeting the needs of the American public. NICE.
I have to admit I frequent the Warren Newport library far more than the Waukegan library. I can find ~90% of the materials I am looking for there, while the Waukegan library rarely has what I am looking for. It would be nice to know exactly where the bottleneck is for getting new materials into our library; which, by the way, is a beautiful facility.
It is a beautiful, well constructed and people friendly structure. The back catalog of books is great, but the current needs are not being met. Perhaps some new people need to be on the library board...
Pages: 1 2