Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Dueling activist on WKRS this morning; hot stuff-article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone else hear activist Julie Santos and Margaret Carrasco call into WKRS this morning? Julie called to complain about our police. When actually it appears the case that she was talking about happened in the next city. Margaret called in to defend our police. Thank you! It appears there is no love lost between these two. I'm wondering if it is the same Chicago Julie Santos that was hear during the 'Summer of 287g.' Julie has moved into Waukegan now...

If this is podcast I'll post the link here. Julie has the most abrasive speaking style I have heard in quite some time. She never lets the other person speaks -just keeps right on speaking over any interjections of the other person.

Here is a post from Margaret explaining a bit more about the situation. Maybe this will all help put more attention on 10th Street. Again, thank you Margaret.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://groups.google.com/group/10demarzo/browse_thread/thread/c6365a011a3f0b1a">http://groups.google.com/group/10demarz ... 011a3f0b1a</a><!-- m -->

TO: MR. BRENT WILKES

?????? LULAC NATIONAL DIRECTOR

???????? National Office
????? 2000 L Street NW, Suite 610
????? Washington, DC 20036
????? PhoneSad202) 833-6130?
????? Fax: (202) 833-6135

????? President's Office
????? 2806 Fredericksburg Rd, #3
????? San Antonio, TX 78201-4705?
????? Phone: (210) 733-5454
????? Fax (210) 733-5458

??????????? 25 N. COUNTY #2 FLR

??????????? WAUKEGAN,?IL. 60085

????????????CARRASC...@AOL.COM ??????

????????? CELL?? #312-246-1360

Dear Mr Wilkes,

As?national director of the LEAGUE OF UNITED LATIN AMERICAN CITIZENS (LULAC) organization ,

I would like to bring to your attention of a matter in which "incorrect accusations/information" is being

communicated in Waukegan,IL?by Julie Santos Contreras on behalf of? your LULAC organization.

The issue?revolves around a Mexican National Tomas Flores?in? Waukegan?who? according to his brother was intoxicated at the time and fell victim to robbery a few weeks ago in North Chicago,IL. This was his?second incident. Several?weeks later, Mr. Flores?died?due to the head injuries incurred.?

????

1) INCORRECT POLICE DEPARTMENT? Press release issued 9/21/09?by Julies Sanots Contreras

????announces a?PROTEST vs. WAUKEGAN POLICE DEPT regarding "FLORES"?incident?

?? Last night I personally spoke with?Waukegan's Chief of Police Yancy who confirmed that the "FLORES"

?? incident occurred in the town of? NORTH CHICAGO 'NOT" WAUKEGAN. Both?in the press

?? release issued and during a radio inteview, Ms Santos?criticized Waukegan Police for their

?? "inaction" on this case?attributing it to the?victim's legal status. The Waukegan Police Department

??? does not have "JURISDICTION" and therefore legally has?"NO AUTHORITY" regarding this case

??? nor of any case that does not physically occur within its boundaries and cannot "act" upon it.

???

2) ?How could such a big mistake like this occur?

????First,?Ms?Santos?never "verified" nor? contacted the WPD to verify that the information was accurate

??? Next,?perhaps, because Ms Santos is a Chicagoan and just recently moved to?the Waukegan area is

??? unaware?of its geographic borders.Nonetheless, this is embarrassing to our Latino community.?During the radio

???? interview she?stated she lived all her life in Waukegan -not true.

3)?NO?LOCAL WAUKEGAN HISPANIC ORGANIZATIONS INVOLVED

??? I would like to clarify the I am not in support?nor?are any of the local?Waukegan Hispanic organizations?

????in support of? Ms. Santos actions. I personally refuse to help/support any person who is or who closely associate

????themselves?with persons invovled with illegal DRUGS or ILLEGAL WEAPONS.?(legal court documents can

???? be provieded upon request)????????????

3) FLORES family "NO SHOW" at appointment to discuss case with?POLICE

??? Last Friday, the deceased?brother "RENEE" failed to attend a scheduled appointment

????discuss his brother's case with authorities.I called him twice and he never?answered.The following

??? ?Monday 9/21/09, I contacted him and?asked him if he was available?to meet with authorities, he?responded that he

??? was too busy.? On WKRS 1220 AM RADIO this morning, Ms Santos stated that due to "racism" the Waukegan

??? police are not investigating the Flores case. This is not?an accurate statement.

4) MARCH/PROTEST - Issue "LOCATION"-?residents?told hospital not police dept

??? Yesterday, I was approached by 4 different residents who invited me to participate in the event. Each stated

???? that they were told that the March was to begin on 10th street where the incident occurred to?

??? Victory Hospital. I informed the residents and showed them the Press Release where it notes the

??? Waukegan Police Dept- they were surprised and upset they had been?lied to.

5) CAMARAS

??? Ms.Santos criticized the Waukegan Police Dept for not giving a copy of the footage from the video of the

??? ?camaras that are?on 10th Street where the incident occurred.?There are a total of 8 camaras in the vicinity where

??? the?incident?occurred which are operating on a rotating basis 24 hours/7 days/week.?The camaras have he

???? capability to capture?and videotape any incidnet within 3 blocks away.However,?in order to acquire a copy of the

???? footage,?a legal subpeana must be issued.?I had scheduled an appointment for the brother? last Friday with a well-

??? known?local?attorney? who speciallizes in this typeof case to?discuss the many?necessary legal documents?

?? ?but he never came.

6) AUTOPSY

??? Yesterday, I?asked Mr Flores' brother if an autopsy had been conducted. he responded?that Ms Santos?had told

??? him he didn't have to do one. Today, during the radio interview, Ms Santos when asked about this,?stated that the

??? Waukegan Police Dept?had told her she could not do an autopsy. This is an inaccurrate statement.

??? Any common person knows that the local police departments do not address the issue of autopsies but rather the

??? Lake County Coronor. To my knowledge, Ms Santos has no?law or medical?degree, ?nor any legal?nor??

??? medical?professional experience?to correctly address these issues resulting in?many mistakes and inaccuracies???

??? to occur. Mr Flores body has been already sent to Mexico according to his brother .?

7) SIGNED AUTHORIZATION

??? Last Thursday,9/17/09 ?Mr Flores signed authorization for any communication about his brothers case

??? ?(not to Ms SANTOS) ?.?

????I strongly suggest?the LULAC organization look into this matter and prevent any further?"mistakes" to
?? occurr in the Waukegan Latino community,?exposing the organization to liability?.???????????
Hi Fedup! I caught Margaret but wasn't able to hear the whole thing. 10th Street is pretty scary even during the day...I hate going down there. Yes, Waukegan is the north side and North Chicago is the south side. Pretty interesting hearing her defend our police department...good for her! Wink Big Grin
This is what is going on. I find it very, very difficult to believe that MC is a supporter of the local police after all of the trouble she has caused them. Margaret sees the other "activist" as an interloper in her territory of Waukegan mouth of La Raza. That is all that this is about. As far as I'm concerned, they're both doing a huge disservice to the local Hispanic community.
I can't find it yet but Margaret said this morning on WKRS that Julie was interviewed by Univision at the peace march last night. Margaret was appalled as Julie called our chief of police a racist during the interview. Libby asked Margaret several times if those were her exact words. Yes. MC said she would send Libby a link and translation. I'd really like to see that. Apparently there were about 50 people with the march according to MC. She said the chief came out and talked to the people and invited the family in. Julie is using strong arm Chicago style tactics. I don't think they are going down well here... Stayed tuned for more noise from her. She was very vocal, if I remember correctly, during the summer of the 287g vote.

You can tell there is/will be a lot of trouble brewing between these two. If you google Julie she's held many other protests as well.
Keep in mind Julie moved here 6 months ago. No pictures at online article. Article doesn't mention which police department is investigating this....

Prayer vigil held for beating victim
Comments

September 25, 2009

BY KENDRICK MARSHALL <!-- e --><a href="mailto:kmarshall@snc1.com">kmarshall@snc1.com</a><!-- e -->

WAUKEGAN -- Julie Contreras has become wary of the violence and senseless deaths that have plagued the city in recent months.

A large group of residents who shared Contreras' sentiments gathered in front of the Waukegan Police Department on Wednesday night for a prayer vigil to express displeasure over the death of Tomas Flores.

On Sept. 9, Flores was beaten by three men as he walked alone along 10th Street.

During the attack, he suffered extensive head injuries that led to his death hours later.

"This street is an area infested with drug users and where much crime occurs," she said.

Contreras, LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) Midwest Immigration Affairs commissioner, said the family is hoping police open an investigation into the death.

Those in attendance at the prayer vigil were under the impression law enforcement agencies are slow to bring justice to immigrants and Latin Americans when acts of violence have occurred against them.

Carmen Cabrera, a Waukegan community activist, is demanding police monitor high-crime areas more closely to curb the rash of violent activity.

"We will walk in prayer to stop the violence in our community and to ask the police to please pay more attention to the areas that are high in crime."

While all Hispanic community leaders are not opposed to working alongside law enforcement officials to create a safe environment, they also want police officers to exhibit professionalism and show respect toward residents no matter their legal status.

"This is occurring too often in our community that we hear that nothing is being done because the victim is an immigrant," said Waukegan resident Eusebio Benitez. "We need justice for all these victims. The land needs healing."

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1789539,5_1_WA25_VIGIL_S1-090925.article">http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... 25.article</a><!-- m -->
Keep in mind Julie moved here 6 months ago. No pictures at online article. Article doesn't mention which police department is investigating this....

Prayer vigil held for beating victim
Comments

September 25, 2009

BY KENDRICK MARSHALL <!-- e --><a href="mailto:kmarshall@snc1.com">kmarshall@snc1.com</a><!-- e -->

WAUKEGAN -- Julie Contreras has become wary of the violence and senseless deaths that have plagued the city in recent months.

A large group of residents who shared Contreras' sentiments gathered in front of the Waukegan Police Department on Wednesday night for a prayer vigil to express displeasure over the death of Tomas Flores.

On Sept. 9, Flores was beaten by three men as he walked alone along 10th Street.

During the attack, he suffered extensive head injuries that led to his death hours later.

"This street is an area infested with drug users and where much crime occurs," she said.

Contreras, LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) Midwest Immigration Affairs commissioner, said the family is hoping police open an investigation into the death.

Those in attendance at the prayer vigil were under the impression law enforcement agencies are slow to bring justice to immigrants and Latin Americans when acts of violence have occurred against them.

Carmen Cabrera, a Waukegan community activist, is demanding police monitor high-crime areas more closely to curb the rash of violent activity.

"We will walk in prayer to stop the violence in our community and to ask the police to please pay more attention to the areas that are high in crime."

While all Hispanic community leaders are not opposed to working alongside law enforcement officials to create a safe environment, they also want police officers to exhibit professionalism and show respect toward residents no matter their legal status.

"This is occurring too often in our community that we hear that nothing is being done because the victim is an immigrant," said Waukegan resident Eusebio Benitez. "We need justice for all these victims. The land needs healing."

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1789539,5_1_WA25_VIGIL_S1-090925.article">http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... 25.article</a><!-- m -->
Does Julie live on or near 10th street? I go to a bakery there every week in the evening and things are always pretty quiet. Maybe it gets crazy after dark but during the day and evening things seen pretty tame. There are always kids on bikes and families walking around when I am there. I too had thought it was a really bad area but after going there a number of times I thought maybe some of the stories were just rumors from people who are afraid. I know there are police cameras but can anyone tell me, is it really a horrible crime ridden area? I am sorry to hear about Mr. Flores but beatings can and do happen in all areas.
Yes Julie it is a horrible area, but don't take my word for it, go there yourself at night.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wkrs.com/">http://www.wkrs.com/</a><!-- m -->

The podcast is available of Julie's call to WKRS. Near the middle and near the end are the portions where she continues and continues to speak -not letting the host get a word in edgewise.

I don't think our town can survive two high power Smile activist. At least one is a Waukeganite and protected us at least with this incident. I wish MC's call (after Julie's) was available. There were some interesting accusations made...
I think Carrot Top is worried someone is invading her turf! :lol:
War between the illegal apologists, what fun!
Pages: 1 2