Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Man gets 10 years for spitting at cop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newss...09.article

August 14, 2009
BY NICHOLAS P. ALAJAKIS <!-- e --><a href="mailto:nalajakis@scn1.com">nalajakis@scn1.com</a><!-- e -->

A Waukegan man convicted of spitting into a police officer's mouth was sentenced to 10 years in prison this week.

Associate Judge George Bridges sentenced Lacy L. Gilmore, to a decade in the Department of Corrections Thursday, after the officer testified at trial about how Gilmore spat a large amount of saliva into his mouth during an April arrest.

Gilmore, 36, of the 400 block of Center Street, was arrested by Waukegan police officers on April 19, after he fought with his ex-girlfriend at her Walnut Street home. When officers were securing him in the back seat of their squad car Gilmore spat in the mouth and on the face of Waukegan officer Joshua Amann, said prosecutor Brett Henne.

"As (Amann) was talking (Gilmore) spit right in his mouth," Henne said.

Amann took a large amount of spit into his mouth and was required to go to the hospital for treatment, Henne said. The officer required shots, but did not test positive for any communicable diseases

Gilmore also spat on a Waukegan firefighter, but the jury did not convict him on that count. He was officially convicted on a single count of aggravated battery, after home invasion and domestic battery charges were dropped before trial.

Though aggravated battery is only a Class 2 felony, Associate Judge Bridges had discretion to sentence Gilmore by Class X guidelines, because Gilmore has previous convictions for burglary.
I'm sorry but had that happened to me, I would have shot his face completely off. That is sickening to me. :x
Not as big a deal as the story makes it seem. We all have had other peoples saliva put in our own mouths against our will. And all of us have done it to others. Both Judge Bridges and the police office have done it to others. It's very common. Mostly it happens during a sneeze.
:lol: Danno, I'm going to whup your arse, smartie pants. COVER YOUR MOUTH Smile
The thought of someone else's DNA being spat in my face...disgusting. However, 10 years for spitting? I can think of worse offenses that get lighter penalties. For example, Pedophiles often get less time than that. How disturbing.
Thirty days is understandable but 10 years? The consequences for this do not make much sense when compared to more serious crimes.

This must have been a violation of probation. Otherwise the penalty is going to cost us a lot.