Waukegan Talk

Full Version: car racing in Waukegan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heard this morning on WKRS that Mayor Sabonjian has signed a contract to bring an Indy style race to Waukegan. I didn't know that this idea had even come before the city council and that the aldermen had agreed to this. There has been no publicity about it as far as I can find out. When are the residents of Waukegan going to learn all the particulars? How will the city pay for this when there is talk that the budget is so bad that cops might be laid off? Anybody know anything?
Stargazer, we agree with you! When did this idea come up, anyway? You say the City Council members were not even informed publicly? City government doesn't work that way! We heard from reliable sources that the Mayor is interested in bringing a Lemans-type of auto racing to Waukegan. What would the route look like? What roads would be utilized? Maybe the Amstutz could be used...did you know that various Batman movies were actually filmed there? Batman's Cove was actually at Greenwood and the north end of the Amstutz!

Another thought...is Rep. Eddie Washington aware that this idea has been thrown around? We think not!

If this is successful, will the Mayor next choose to host the running of the bulls down Sheridan Road? Big Grin

...and after that, maybe we can host a tomato thowing event at the Genesee like they do in Spain...what's next Mr. Mayor?!?!
Is it just me or does this sound like Genesee Theatre part 2? Waukegan is not The Field of Dreams. If you build it, people may not come. Mayor S. do your research and develop a business plan first.

By DAN MORAN <!-- e --><a href="mailtoBig GrinMORAN@SCN1.COM">DMORAN@SCN1.COM</a><!-- e -->
WAUKEGAN -- When word spread that the city is bidding to bring a motorsport race to the downtown area, Sheridan Road resident Jeff Rothbart wondered if the cart was being put before the horsepower.

"It seems to me that there's some kind of hurriedness to it," Rothbart told the City Council Monday night. "Is there a business plan for this? (Organizers) should make sure a business plan is available to the public."

» Click to enlarge image

(File Photo)
While Mayor Robert Sabonjian told Rothbart that "business plans take a while to generate," he does have something else in hand right now: a map of the proposed 1.9-mile circuit for a Waukegan Grand Prix.

According to Sabonjian, the course would have a start/finish line on the Amstutz Expressway just south of the Washington Street bridge. Drivers would head south on the Amstutz to a point just north of where the divided highway ends at Genesee Street. There, a tight hairpin turn would be constructed onto Sheridan Road, sending drivers north to Water Street.

From Water and Sheridan, drivers would head west to Genesee Street, north to Washington Street, west to County Street, north to Grand Avenue and, finally, east back to the southbound Amstutz.

City officials plan to tour the course Wednesday, Sabonjian said, to gauge what would be needed to get the roadways in shape to host races that could begin next summer -- if all goes well in attracting racing leagues and financial backers.

"It's not easy. It's a very complicated project," Sabonjian said. "But we're doing our due diligence, (and) we would love to have something ready for 2010. But if it has to wait for 2011, we'll do it in 2011."

At Monday's City Council meeting, Sabonjian announced that the city will host public hearings on the project to offer more details and answer questions. He estimated that meeting dates will be announced "early next week."

Rothbart indicated Tuesday that the public meetings will draw a crowd, saying "there is a lot of opposition" among downtown-area residents he's spoken to about the concept of roaring engines on the lakefront.

"There's been a lot of talk," he said. "People along the bluff are upset about it, obviously, because anybody who's ever been to even a stock car race can remember the noise."

Sabonjian said he's heard the concerns about such things as safety, noise and the economic impact of staging a motorsport race -- which he has defined as possibly American LeMans, IndyCar or motorcycle in format -- on existing Waukegan roadways.

"We will be addressing all of those questions," Sabonjian said. "If (people) have concerns, hopefully we can assuage them."

Some points of information that Sabonjian discussed Tuesday: the north end of the Amstutz between Grand and Greenwood avenues would be closed during the race to house things like support equipment; temporary concrete barriers and catch fences would protect private property from racing mishaps; and there "would be some investment on the city's part," likely through a bond issue, to prepare the roadways for racing.

Sabonjian also criticized what he called "a false rumor" that the city has already spent $150,000 on the project, saying nothing has been spent to date. Regarding Rothbart's question about an overall business plan, Sabonjian pointed to a proposed grand prix in Baltimore two years from now as a template for Waukegan to follow.

According to published reports, the city of Baltimore is in discussions with a limited liability company dubbed Baltimore Racing Development (BRD), which is proposing a five-year schedule of grand prix races starting in late summer or early fall of 2011.

BRD has reportedly approached the Indy Racing League's IndyCar Series about staging open-wheel competition on a 2.4-mile course near Baltimore's Inner Harbor. The concept is along the same lines of what's been seen with recent IndyCar events in Toronto, St. Petersburg, Fla., and Long Beach, Calif.

A feasibility study made public in July estimated that 150,000 people would attend a Baltimore Grand Prix and related activities over a four-day period, generating up to $100 million in hotel stays, meals, tickets and other purchases.

Rothbart expressed skepticism about whether or not Waukegan will be able to pull off such tasks as financing any logistical obligations it might have, and finding parking for tens of thousands of cars.

"It seems to me (Sabonjian) is trying to recreate a great experience he had 35 years ago in Long Beach," Rothbart said. "Long Beach is like an apple and an orange from Waukegan."

Related Blog Posts Baltimore Grand Prix: On Track?

From The Loss Column -- a Baltimore Sports Community

Great Racing At Soggy Lausanne Super Grand Prix

From The Final Sprint

The views expressed in these blog posts are those of the author and not of the Sun-Times News Group.

Report item as: (required) X Obscenity/vulgarity Hate speech Personal attack Advertising/Spam Copyright/Plagiarism Other Comment: (optional)
Report item as: (required) X Obscenity/vulgarity Hate speech Personal attack Advertising/Spam Copyright/Plagiarism Other Comment: (optional)
qix wrote:
Gee, didn't we have racing in Waukegan once before ( think Waukegan Speedway). It was such a success that a search for it online will only yield results that BARELY mention the place. And as for pictures - do a search and you MIGHT get one picture of a car racing around a track. But you'll get noting substantial about the speedway itself. Seems like that wasn't so successful huh? And now if you travel to the former site of the Waukegan Speedway you're greeted with mounds of concrete, construction waste, PCB contamination and recent illegal dumping that Zeman Homes (who owns the trailer parks) is allowing to take place. When confronted about it their response was "It's not OUR people dumping". But a garbage bag was found among the recent dumping that revealed a Rolodex and business cards from a Zeman employee.

Yes Waukegan's other foray into racing has left us with a lasting history, as I'm sure this next project will as well. If nothing else, we'll get 1.9 miles of decent roads in Waukegan.
8/19/2009 7:34 AM CDT on suburbanchicagonews.com
Recommend Report Abuse

duckforpresident wrote:
wow. this sounds great on paper, but where are you going to put on the crack heads who constantly wander the downtown area? Are they going to be working the concession stands? Either way I support it. Anything that brings money and people downtown. Can't wait to see the zooming cars against the vacant buildings on ESPN!!
8/19/2009 6:58 AM CDT on suburbanchicagonews.com
Recommend Report Abuse

guesswho wrote:
Here's a thought, why not have the course go west to Jackson St. and then north to Grand Ave.? That would lengthen the course and having Jackson St with the hill and slight curve would make it a bit more interesting and since it would lengthen the course allow more spectator areas.
I know this can be done as I have been to the West Palm beach Grand Prix and the run it through the city streets with NO problems!
And the economic impact would be considerably favorable as these races draw massive crowds. We all know that the Waukegan area can definitely use any kind of economic boost it can get. There’s BIG money in motor sports and the fan base they have!
GOOD IDEA BOBBY, now all you need to do is get it going!
8/19/2009 6:35 AM CDT on suburbanchicagonews.com
Recommend Report Abuse
Special events can play an important part in the re vitalization of a struggling city. I'd much rather the efforts and resources be focused on Lake Michigan events...water ski, jet ski, etc. And a 2 day lakefront jazz/blues fest would be great.
Hey Rothbart, host any more coffees for your good buddy Terry Link lately?
This sounds pretty cool. I had heard the rumor a while ago but didn't give it much thought. I'd like to see more lake-front events too like danno but this sounds awesome too.
I was just wondering how much money was spent on redoing Sheridan Rd. down there from the Amstutz (where Sheridan dead-ends) to wherever they are going to turn off. How much will it cost to upgrade it or whatever they need to do to it, to get it ready for racing?? Also, what about the houses on the route? What would happen if a car gets out of control and crashes through one??
Penguin40 Wrote:I was just wondering how much money was spent on redoing Sheridan Rd. down there from the Amstutz (where Sheridan dead-ends) to wherever they are going to turn off. How much will it cost to upgrade it or whatever they need to do to it, to get it ready for racing?? Also, what about the houses on the route? What would happen if a car gets out of control and crashes through one??
My best guess.... Lloyds of London would pay the owner for the damages.
I'd say test the idea first with a "cheaper" racing event. (Cheaper in quotes relatively speaking.) If they suceed, then sure - go bigger.

Something like a "Tour de Waukegan" cycling event. That would be neat to see. And coordination and event planning could have the route closed off in a day and open the next. Unlike auto racing, it would be much less to insure. A bicycle wreck is unlikely to kill anyone nor damage property. And there's plenty of room for spectators using a similar route to the currently proposed auto route. Unlike a professional circuit motorsport event, I'd see no harm in having local entrants for various racing runs through the day. (A short race for kids, and maybe a few non-professional fund raising cycling events before the multi-lap race of pro cyclists.) Lot of bicycle shops and Cyclists in Lake and adjacent county would probably get a kick out of something like that happening here. With the lake being nearby, might even be able to throw in a triathlon or two in addition to cycling only races.

Alternately hold a much smaller motorsports event. Amstutz all by itself would make a great temporary drag strip. (I'm pretty sure it's straight for a quarter mile if you put staging and pits just off of Greenwood. Plenty of rooms for temporary stands near the starting line.) If a drag racing event could be held there, it'd be cool to coordinate with the Scoop da Loop (or whatever it's officially called now). Since Amstutz is pretty well isolated from most private property, you could reasonalbly allow non-pros to sign a waiver and pay for a safety inspection ticket so they could do a drag race there legally during the event. Not to mention I'd like to see if some of those cars at The Scoop aren't just all show. It would be a bigger draw if people could see some real action, and some car owners wouldn't mind having a few bragging rights outside of the looks category.

Notice my alternate ideas aren't just racing for the pros and outsiders, but would have locals actually being able to participate for part of the event. And beyond money spent by spectatorship, participants would be a neat opportunity for additional fundraising. Also seeing a coworker, buddy, or neighbor race might even be a bigger draw for some folks than pros in a sport they normally don't follow.
I raced quite a bit on the Amstutz when it was first built. The went Submarine racing at PS16.
Pages: 1 2