Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Union News?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
is there any?
Good question! I have heard that union reps have been at LC throughout the summer!
Also, this is another contract year!
Who i s on the all-star negotiation team?
I have heard some great news that this year's nego team has been in training this summer by the AFT. I also heard that the last contract team wasn't trained in this manner. REPORTS ARE THAT THEY WORK WELL TOGETHER , what a change from previous years....... ehhh?
Brothers and sisters Let's support this years negotiating team. Let's not give the management any reason to think the membership isn't behind our team 100%. I really think this was one of the main problems with the last team.and sisters of Waukegan Council 504, Lets stand united for our team as they will be negotiating our contract this year! WE should stand firm and show our support for them during the days that they are bargaining. I am really impressed by how organized these guys are. They all will represent us well. I am proud to be a member of the union and an elementary teacher. I want to see a contract good for all teachers, elementary, middle and high school.
Of course you ae happy you are at the Elementary level. The High School lost in the last contract and unless alot of things change they will lose in the next contract. The High School needs their own Union. The Elementary staff won't let them have it because keeping the High School is in THEIR BEST INTEREST!
I think the high school is in better position to negotiate with the middle school and elementary schools. In numbers we are stronger. Elementary school teachers work as hard as high school teachers with no team planning times, I also understand the frustrations of high school teachers with class size an other issues. This is the time we can correct the wrongs of the past. But separating yourselves is not the answer. Having vocal representation and strong people at the helm of the negotiation table is. You elect the high school members of your team, they listen to you. make this clear to them, if you feel uneasy about high school representation.
Keep looking out for yourselves, screw the children.
This isn't true. Most of those teachers at the high school are here for them!
How is class size not to benefit of the students? Kids learn better in a smaller classroom, this is from sound research. This is negoitated in the contract. I don't understand some people when they post things so vile without explanation or thought. When people state 'screw the children' they obviuosly do not understand that salary is just one aspect of the contract. Many teachers in the field just want an environment so that our students can excel like those in other districts but creating learning environments that are condusive to learning.

It is the administration that uses these things like class size to negotiate pay in their best interest. They don't want to hire the teachers that are necessary to have those numbers that supported by research. Ask the administration to come up with a set policy of 26-27 students in a classroom and they will refuse, even though they know it is to the students best benefit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4