Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Prayer returns to Wkgn/Wkgn Dev. Comm. members replaced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can someone tell us more about the Wkgn Development Commission?

Prayer returns to Waukegan
City Council rejects mayor's 'moment of silence'
Comments

August 5, 2009
By DAN MORAN <!-- e --><a href="mailtoBig GrinMORAN@SCN1.COM">DMORAN@SCN1.COM</a><!-- e -->

WAUKEGAN -- The moment of silence instituted by Mayor Robert Sabonjian to open council meetings when he took office was overturned Monday by aldermen who voted unanimously to return to an invocation conducted by a religious official.

Also on Monday, Sabonjian's bid to replace eight of the nine members on the Waukegan Development Commission -- which reviews such things as proposed construction projects and forwards recommendations to the council -- was delayed after objections from two aldermen.

The move to restore an opening prayer was started by 1st Ward Ald. Sam Cunningham, who was then backed by 5th Ward Ald. Edith Newsome in a motion to do away with the moment of silence.

"I know we're into the change thing, and some change is good," Cunningham said. "But this is one change I think we need to change back."

At the first council meeting under his gavel on May 18, Sabonjian called for a 30-second moment of silence, making no comment on the switch from an invocation. At the June 15 council meeting, Cunningham and Newsome were joined by 6th Ward Ald. Larry TenPas in criticizing the move.

Invocations had been performed by various local clergy members dating back through at least the 1990s, and had been given almost exclusively in recent years by the Rev. Joseph Coburn, pastor of All Nations Church of God Holiness In Christ.

Cunningham suggested Monday the mayor's office could have "other denominations come in" to offer an invocation. On Tuesday, Sabonjian couldn't offer a timeline on when those arrangements would be made, but he did say that clergy members performing an invocation would not be paid. Previously, the city paid $50 for each prayer.

Sabonjian's effort to revamp the plan commission could still come to pass by the time the panel convenes for its September meeting. But 8th Ward Ald. Rick Larsen called for the appointments to be delayed, saying he wanted to interview the would-be commissioners.

"I have not had a chance to talk to these people individually," said Larsen, describing the Development Commission as "a very important board to be appointed to."

Sabonjian's proposed appointments include Greg Flesher, who ran as a Republican in the mayoral election against Sabonjian and Richard Hyde.

Also on the list are Steven Coutant, a senior planner with the city of Lake Forest; architect Steve Kolber, who served as project manager on the Genesee Theatre renovation and endorsed Sabonjian for mayor as a member of the Citizens for the Resurgence of Excellence in Waukegan; and Michael Rodriguez, president of the Waukegan School Board and co-owner of Northeast Illinois Heating and Air Conditioning.

The lone holdover on Sabonjian's list is Dexter Reid, who has served on the commission for the past decade. Among those who would be replaced is current commission chairman Peter Couvall, former vice chair of the Lake County Democratic Party and a political ally of former Mayor Hyde.

Sabonjian said he feels the eight new candidates bring "a different experience level" to the commission, with a range of expertise in areas like construction and banking. While Larsen and TenPas voiced no specific objections to the names on the list, TenPas did question replacing nearly the entire board at one time.

"Some of these are very, very good people, but I don't think it's good policy (to) replace them all at one time," TenPas said. "It doesn't look right."

Larsen said he plans to call each candidate he doesn't already know within a week. Sabonjian said he anticipates approval of the appointments at the Aug. 17 council meeting.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1701151,5_1_WA05_WAUKEGAN_S1-090805.article">http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... 05.article</a><!-- m -->
What a bunch of pathetic morons these aldermen are for doing this. The 30 seconds of silence was much more meaningful and evocative of good thoughts than any useless watered down prayer could ever be. If a person wants to have prayer in their thoughts for their 30 seconds, or the entire meeting for that matter, fine but don't force the rest of us to listen to YOUR particular preference. Total backward aholes.
danno, well put!!!! a moment of silence is much more meaningful and offends noone. but more importantly, doesn't this city have bigger problems that our fine alderman should be working on solving? perhaps voting the bums out of office really is the best choice.
Mayor’s appointments to the Library Board; Verna Wilson and Myra Gaytan-Morales, Tom Hagerty for Public Works Superintendent/ temporary appointment, and Waukegan Development Commission Greg Flesher, Michael Rodriquez, Peter Countant, Dexter Reid, Porfirio Garcia, Reuben Ernesto, Jeffery Kerr, George Chazaro, Steve Kolber.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.waukeganweb.net/agenda.html">http://www.waukeganweb.net/agenda.html</a><!-- m -->

I saw this on the Waukegan site's agenda notes. I know some of the names for the WDC -but don't know them all. One of them is a local activist who has acted for one group of people and not another. I've heard things about his business as well -that he doesn't always follow what the city requires of him. Not good.

Good to see a running mate from the mayoral race! He has building knowledge I believe.

How much power does this group have. Can they shut out certain businesses that want to come in? Or ask in businesses that we'd rather not have?