Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Wkgn:convic. sex offender held in kidnapping,rape of 4yr old
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was very disturbing to read this morning as a parent of young children. I'm going to post the article and reminders of the sites you can check to see which sex offenders live around you. Click to see their pictures -I've seen some of these people in town. You can check the Illinois Sex Offender site or familywatchdog. You can click on schools and see who lives by them as well. Although it wouldn't have helped in this case as this person never registered as he was required. Waukegan has more than it's share, 183, of sex offenders and I wish there was something that could be done about it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/">http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.familywatchdog.us/">http://www.familywatchdog.us/</a><!-- m -->

Convicted sex offender held in kidnapping, rape
By Tony Gordon | Daily Herald Staff

[Image: 172197.jpg]
Lonnie Bobbitt

Published: 8/1/2009 12:00 AM

A convicted sex offender from Waukegan is held on $1 million bond after being charged with kidnapping and raping a 4-year-old girl.

Waukegan Police Lt. Edward Fitzgerald said Lonnie Bobbitt, 46, was arrested Tuesday morning after initially refusing to surrender to police.

Bobbitt was previously convicted of molesting a 17-year-old girl, but since 2006 has not registered his address with police as sex offenders are required to do.

Fitzgerald said Bobbitt, who is a friend of the victim's family, was with them Monday and somehow left their residence with the girl without anyone noticing.

The girl's mother awoke Tuesday and found her daughter was missing, Fitzgerald said. She went to Bobbitt's house in the 400 block of McKinley Street where she found the child in a bedroom.

Officers were sent to the scene and surrounded the house when Bobbitt initially refused to come out, Fitzgerald said, but he eventually surrendered.

Bobbitt faces a mandatory prison sentence of six to 30 years if convicted of predatory sexual assault of a child and kidnapping. He is due in court Aug. 24.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=310737">http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=310737</a><!-- m -->

Comments at link
Sex offender held on kidnap, assault charges
Suspect allegedly molested girl, 4
Comments

August 1, 2009
BY KENDRICK MARSHALL <!-- e --><a href="mailto:kmarshall@scn1.com">kmarshall@scn1.com</a><!-- e -->

WAUKEGAN -- A once-convicted sex offender was arrested by police after he allegedly kidnapped and sexually assaulted a 4-year-old girl.

Lonnie Bobbitt, 46, of the 400 block of McKinley Avenue, was charged with two counts of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and one count of kidnapping, police said.
» Click to enlarge image
Bobbitt

Waukegan police Lt. Edward Fitzgerald said Friday that officers responded to Bobbitt's apartment July 27 regarding an unknown problem. They determined that the girl's mother found the child there.

A police investigation revealed the girl had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted by Bobbitt, a convicted sex offender who failed to register his current address.

It is unknown if the victim's family was aware of Bobbitt's sex offender status, police said, but the man was described as "a friend of a friend."

According to the Illinois State Police sex offender Web site, Bobbitt's last registered address was in the 1500 block of North Kilpatrick Avenue in Chicago.

Investigators said Bobbitt never registered again after Sept. 1, 2006, although he is required to do so every 90 days until 2099 for a 1995 aggravated criminal sexual assault conviction in Cook County.

Fitzgerald said that at some point on July 26, Bobbitt kidnapped the girl from her mother's residence in the 2400 block of Dugdale Road. The following day, the child's mother awoke, went to get her daughter up for breakfast and discovered her missing.

The woman immediately went to Bobbitt's apartment, found the girl naked in a bedroom and contacted police, Fitzgerald said.

Several officers responded to the scene and took Bobbitt into custody after he initially refused to leave the apartment.

The child was then taken to Vista Medical Center East in Waukegan, where she was examined and released. Authorities would not say whether there was physical evidence of molestation.

Bobbitt remained in Lake County Jail on Friday in lieu of $1 million bond. He is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 24.
I read that article and it made me sick. My heart gets real heavy when I read about children being abused, raped, etc. I know its barbaric, but I'd like to see these types of people turned over to the families to deal with. The "end" is very near. Sad
What seems even more creepy is that when the mother found the girl missing she knew where to go. She must have known or had a feeling about the guy. YUCK!
I've looked at the list of offenders and see s many close to schools! Isn't there a law where they can't live by schools or parks??
Right! It makes me wonder if the " Law" really know where these people are living?
TeacherThoughts Wrote:I've looked at the list of offenders and see s many close to schools! Isn't there a law where they can't live by schools or parks??

Too true. I think I was told it was so many feet, 500 ?, that they had to live away from a school. If it is a child sex offender the rules were a bit different? I really need to check again on that. There was an offender living by my children's school -very close- and I had to call awhile back. I believe I was told that since his victim was not a minor he was allowed to live there BUT that the police were keeping an eye on him.

Here's another Waukegan sex offender offending. Do they have a three-strike policy? This guy was out on bail and acts up. Hopefully he will be put away for a long time.

Registered sex offender charged with exposing himself at Gurnee pool

Tribune staff report
August 5, 2009

A registered sex offender allegedly exposed himself to young girls at a Gurnee pool last week, officials said.

Jeffrey Sonderman, 53, fled the Hunt Club Park Aquatic Center, 900 N. Hunt Club Rd., after allegedly exposing himself through his swimsuit to at least four young girls just before 4 p.m. on Friday, Gurnee Police Cmdr. Jay Patrick said. He was found at a motel in Waukegan about 5:25 p.m. and was taken into custody after a short foot chase, Patrick said. Sonderman's last known address was in the 8000 block of Kostner Avenue in Skokie, and he failed to register as a sex offender in Waukegan, where he is believed to be living, Patrick said.

Sonderman -- who is out of jail on bail for similar acts -- was charged with four counts of sexual exploitation of a child, being a child sex offender in a public park, violation of the sex offender registration act, public indecency and resisting arrest, Patrick said.
Where is Ms Babbitt? She'd know what to do. (Hope I've got he name spelled right)
Registered offenders have keep residency 500 feet from schools.