Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Internet T.V.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I received an offer in my e-mail and it sounds too good to be true. Does anyone out there have that? You'd get tons of Movies, local channels, and you name it. I can' believe the $49.99 one-time charge. HELP :!: :?
Well, I guess no one knew anything about this. I was signing up for it, and after I put my Credit Card info in, a message came up and it read "we cannot process your application at this time". Well, that was a message for me---get out of it, so I erased everything.
Too bad about the scam. But that's how things are on the internet. Beware of stuff that sounds too good.

This is how I do internet TV at no cost at all. (As in free, besides what you're already paying to AT&T or Comcast for broadband.) Probably a bit late now, but I'd still recommend trying it and checking it out.

Download VideoLAN media player. (Free, no registration or anything required.)
Install it. (Google and read about it if you're still uncertain, then after finding out it's OK, then install.)
Then run it.
Click on playlist on the menu on the top.
Then click on additional sources.
Then on the menu click on Shoutcast TV listings.
Then on the playlist menu there will be a folder called "Shoutcast TV" in the box on the left. Click it.
It might take a while to load, but then you'll see a whole list of channels in the box on the right.
Double-clicking one of those should open and play the channel in the media player.
Not hard at all. 8-)

*Note: The majority of listed Shoutcast stuff (besides old cartoon reruns) seems to be non-english European programming. (There may be more english language programming, but it's not listed on the public index VLC uses.) So unless you know a foreign language or are lucky enough to find a channel with subs, good luck. There's also ways on occasion to glean streams from some websites, but that's a bit more complicated and you have to know what to look for. You'll just have to google to figure that bit out.

Also this shoutcast thing works great on "Internet radio" too. Sometimes I'll find a station that I could normally never get (like KEXP from Seattle. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kexp-mp3-128k.cac.washington.edu:8000/">http://kexp-mp3-128k.cac.washington.edu:8000/</a><!-- m -->) and stream that and minimize the player while doing other stuff. Pretty neat, huh?