Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Be careful for what you wish for
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
wths74 Wrote:I understand a candidate has to shake a lot of hands to get elected. I don't begrudge him trying to appeal to the Hispanic population here. I don't begrudge any legal Hispanics in the city. I know many keep their yards nice and are productive members of society, I also know there are many whites who are dregs on society.

This isn't about Hispanic or white or black. It's about legal v illegal. The illegals are killing this town, they are killing large segments of this country. They are killing our health care and our school systems and they are despite what the pro illegal crowd will tell you they are taking jobs from American citizens. No longer is it the jobs nobody wants.

I severely reject his notion to stop the towing ordinance and especially to withdraw the 287g application. That is just wrong. Anyone who would not be in vigorous favor of 287g is not a friend to American citizens.

For the second time mentioned here, Hyde said "the city has withdrawn 287g". He said it on the WKRS debate. Before that he was saying it was "dead", which was a deceptive way of saying he withdrew it. It should have been withdrawn by the council but I don't find it in any minutes unless it was done very recently. I doubt he would do it that way anyway because it would have been too professional, honest and open.

I've listened very closely and I've never heard Sabonjian utter one word that could be construed as favoring illegals.
Frankzulch is correct about what Hyde said. Here is a recording of it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://sbcglobalpwp.att.net/d/a/danteeqs/withdrawn6.mp3">http://sbcglobalpwp.att.net/d/a/danteeqs/withdrawn6.mp3</a><!-- m -->

Hyde is also either a liar or mistaken about how 287g really came to the council.
Jazmin, i have read your evil, hateful comments for many months now. enough already!! i am not "uppity" and did not find just anyone after chris wakefield became ill. (he did not fizzle-he was ill). i consider chris wakefield a friend and i was profoundly saddened by his health scare. i have prayed for him, have you? but to be perfectly honest, i have listened to you, for month now, you do nothing but bitch. many of us have worked hard for a new beginning, be part of it or move on. you are not happy unless you have something to complain about, and in life there is always something to complain about. (sorry to end with a prep.) You are part of the solution or part of the proplem. make a decision. stop complaining and make a difference.

don't bother with one of your SMART responses, i don't care!!!!!!! you are with us or against us. maybe i am a pollyanna and only see the positive. but i am saying what many have thought, "STOP your bitchin'"!!
fintan1010 Wrote:i am not "uppity" and did not find just anyone after chris wakefield became ill.
Do I understand this correctly? Are you claiming to have "found" Bob and asked him to run for mayor?
Jazmin: I have yet to read a well-reasoned post from you.

Just to clarify Fintan's comments: a group of us in the 6th ward (pink, black, latino, Irish, polish, swahili - wait, who cares what ethnic group) met on labor day to discuss the future of Waukegan. Out of that meeting came the idea of meeting with all the candidates. Further discussions lead to CREW. At the time, Chris Wakefield was in the race and I am personally saddened that he was unable to continue for health reasons. In the meantime, Bob Sabonjian decided to run. No one asked him to run: he is a big boy and made the decision all on his own. From there, each and every one of us made our own decision who to vote for in the mayoral election. No conspiracy theory, no latino mob influence, no nepotism, no back-room dealings between Wakefield, Sabonjian and Fintan, just good old-fashioned democracy at work.
Why all the fuss as to who found who and when?

What really does that matter?

The fact is that Bob Sabonjian handily beat the incumbent. He took the white vote, the black vote & the hispanic vote. That result came from solid campaigning and support from dedicated individuals and groups and ultimately the majority of voters in Waukegan. The results of the election were purely driven by the desire to change the direction Waukegan was moving. A desire that is clearly from across the board, not from any sole source.

If you want to lay claim - or blame - to why we have a new mayor - have at it. Just seems to me that what is the far more important task is considering what we can do to assist our new mayor over the next 4 years to create the change we all expect to see. Assistance like remaining engaged in the process - ESPECIALLY as our aldermen are all up for election in 2 years.
bling, your comments about how bob won and the future are dead on correct. it happened because of many different types of people making a choice for something new.

please do not misunderstand my use of the word "found". perhaps the term, "found my way to" would add some clarification. i felt the need to firmly respond to jazmin. i took great offense to her tone and comments regarding chris wakefield.

you and i clearly are looking to the future
Is it true that Sabonjin and Carrasco are very close and worked together to get him elected? When did Carrasco join his campaign?
Is it true that Carrasco is a loyal supporter of the current school board and administration?
Is it true that the current school board and administration are loyal supporters of Sabonjin?

Are they working behind the scenes to help each other? Are they providing each other with information and other types of assistance?
Seems like these are simple questions for Bob Sabonjian and his team - don't you think? Why not go to the source? The campaign has made it pretty clear that you can reach him directly thru his website.

The replies on this forum anything other than a direct response from Sabonjian would be pure speculation, obviously. If it is truly of paramount concern, then time for your due diligence.

But consider that Bob Sabonjian won the majority of all the voter groups in Waukegan. Concerning yourself with the suspected influence of the few clearly disregards the broad support he enjoyed in the overwhelming victory. Don't count on the media, just look at the numbers.
Refreshing. Mayor-Elect Sabonjian cleared up many of the questions that have been brought up here. I'll post the article.

Mayor-elect plans department review

April 11, 2009
By JIM NEWTON <!-- e --><a href="mailto:jnewton@scn1.com">jnewton@scn1.com</a><!-- e -->

WAUKEGAN -- Mayor-elect Bob Sabonjian said Friday he is not planning to repeal Waukegan's towing ordinance, that he does plan to exercise his right as mayor to review and appoint department heads, and that broad support led to his election.

Sabonjian said he wanted to address several issues based on "rumors" circulating around the city since his upset victory over incumbent Mayor Richard Hyde on Tuesday.

He said that while Hispanic voters clearly played a large role in his election, other segments of the community were active as well.

Sabonjian said his wife commented on the attendees of his victory party by saying "this is Waukegan," and that attendees included Hispanics, African-Americans and whites, as well as blue-collar and white-collar workers.

Sabonjian also stressed that he has not promised jobs to any of his campaign workers.

"There are no done deals or promises," he said.

Resumes will be solicited for department head jobs, Sabonjian said, and in some instances new people may be appointed.

"The mayor has the right to appoint department heads, and I do want to exercise my right to see who I want to run those departments," he said. "It's not going to be politics. It will be finding the best person for the job."

Sabonjian said he plans to meet one-on-one with City Council members to discuss their issues and priorities and says he expects to work well with the council.

He also dismissed claims that he would eliminate the city's towing ordinance.

"If you are driving with no license and no insurance, your car will be taken," Sabonjian said, but he added that he wants the city to review procedures following such seizures.

He said he wants to more fully explore returning cars to those who can prove they have licenses or can transfer ownership of the vehicle, and suggested that the current $500 fine may be excessive.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1521500,5_1_WA11_SABON_S1.article">http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S1.article</a><!-- m -->
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7