Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Toxic Levels of Arsenic Found at Orchard Hills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When the Waukegan Park District Board wouldn't do appropriate environmental tests at Orchard Hills, a group of concerned citizens funded testing on their own. The Park District did soil testing to a depth of 3 feet, at 3 tees and 3 greens at the 18-hole golf course, and came back with "clean" results, except for an area by the maintenance shed. Concerned Waukegan citizens asked the Park District to retest the tees and greens at depths of 6 inches, as suggested by the Illinois Environental Protection Agency (IEPA), but, despite the fact that arsenic tends to be found in the topsoil, the board refused.

On March 22, soil samples were collected by concerned citizens at 9 tees and 9 greens at the golf course (3 times the number done by the Park District at the tees and greens). Those samples were sent to an environmental testing lab accredited by the State of Illinois, and arsenic testing was completed on April 2. The results showed that 13 of the 18 samples identified arsenic at levels above the acceptable limits set by the IEPA for the redevelopment planned at Orchard Hills.

Park District Commissioners Bill Durkin, Jr. and Bill Sarocka have been advised of the test results. It is hoped by the citizen group that the Park District will put excavation work on hold at the golf course and wait for the IEPA to review the new test results. Those results were forwarded to the IEPA with an urgent request that they be reviewed. The group wants the IEPA to direct the Park District to do appropriate sampling of the entire golf course and perform any remediation required prior to moving dirt at the site.

According to IEPA regulations, no remediation would be required at Orchard Hills if it remained a golf course.

The Park District Board let bids on April 2 at a noon meeting for excavation work to commence at Orchard Hills, among other contracts let for the sports complex. According to Durkin, excavation could start next week.

***Attached are the arsenic test results from the citizens' soil tests showing that 13 of the 18 soil samples taken at Orchard Hills were above the 13 mg/Kg (ppm) acceptable level set by the IEPA ( I have circled those results that are over the allowable 13 mg/Kg). I have also attached the Park District’s arsenic test results, showing the 13 mg/Kg standard (I have circled the pertinent parts of that report). According to the Park District test results, only 1 of those samples came back over the 13 mg/Kg level (with a reading of 16.5 ppm), which was located near the maintenance shed at Orchard Hills. A 12’ x 12’ area was removed by the Park District because of that elevated reading. Twelve of the 13 citizen soil samples that tested over the IEPA acceptable level were above the 16.5 ppm reading of the soil that was removed from the golf course, with 5 of those over 100 mg/Kg and the highest at 263 mg/Kg. TO VIEW ATTACHMENTS, YOU MUST REGISTER AND THEN LOG IN - IT TAKES JUST A MINUTE AND IT'S WORTH IT...

IF THE ABOVE DISTURBS YOU, YOU SHOULD CALL THE PARK DISTRICT COMMISSIONERS - WAUKEGAN DESERVES BETTER THAN THIS - ORCHARD HILLS SHOULD BE PROPERLY TESTED AND CLEANED UP BEFORE ANY DIRT IS MOVED OUT THERE.
The Board of Commissioners have asked that I serve as the spokesperson for the district to address the issues presented by Ms. Ryckman...on Friday our environmentalist was contacted by the IEPA after Ms. Ryckman contacted them to have the project halted...it has been communicated to me that the IEPA is satisified with the steps the park district is taking to assess and address environmental concerns at the Sports Complex...the district will meet the IEPA objectives as it builds the sports complex...WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD A COMMITMENT TO RISK MANAGEMENT AND SAFETY TO OUR PATRONS AND EMPLOYEES...and will continue to...as we continue to communicate with the IEPA we will modify our plans accordingly if necessary to address any concerns...the construcion of the sports complex is proceeding as communication continues with several city, county and state permitting agencies...including the IEPA...Commissioner Durkin presented me with the information immediately after he received it...we then called Ms. Ryckma and left a message at her home with the intent to review her information and provide her with an update on what the district is doing at the site...she has not returned my call as of this posting...please feel free to contact me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:gregp@waukeganparks.org">gregp@waukeganparks.org</a><!-- e --> or feel free to call me at my home or at work 847-360-4721...as I will not participate in this forum...on Monday please visit the Waukegan Park District Website...www.waukeganparks.org...the home page for an update...thank you...Greg Petry
Greg Petry Wrote:The Board of Commissioners have asked that I serve as the spokesperson for the district to address the issues presented by Ms. Ryckman..thank you...Greg Petry

In other words Durkin and Motley are drunk and can't talk much less type right now
OhBrother Wrote:
Greg Petry Wrote:The Board of Commissioners have asked that I serve as the spokesperson for the district to address the issues presented by Ms. Ryckman..thank you...Greg Petry

In other words Durkin and Motley are drunk and can't talk much less type right now

Very underhanded remark. Regardless of whom I will support or not, words like these do not serve anything to better our community.
Shawn White
(224) 381-2834
Snoopy Wrote:
OhBrother Wrote:

Very underhanded remark. Regardless of whom I will support or not, words like these do not serve anything to better our community.
Shawn White
(224) 381-2834
Those remarks can serve to better our community and help make it safer. Several times I have seen Billy Durkin drive his car while he was stupid drunk, endangering many lives. Hopefully he will see this and stop driving drunk.
OhBrother Wrote:

Greg Petry takes the time to post a response to Ms. Ryckman's allegations, promising further information on Monday, and this is the only response you can fire off?

Uncalled for and in poor taste. Cease and desist.
Frankzilch Wrote:
Snoopy Wrote:
OhBrother Wrote:

Shawn White
(224) 381-2834
Those remarks can serve to better our community and help make it safer. Several times I have seen Billy Durkin drive his car while he was stupid drunk, endangering many lives. Hopefully he will see this and stop driving drunk.

Again, uncalled for. Cease and desist.
I understand there will be an attempt to get the city involved in the Park District decisions at city hall tomorrow at 7:00 PM. I hope people of integrity will represent my views and the many involved in park district matters. Eleventh hour politics, this is typical. I look forward to seeing, firsthand, what is said.
Shawn White
(224) 381-2834
Snoopy Wrote:I understand there will be an attempt to get the city involved in the Park District decisions at city hall tomorrow at 7:00 PM. I hope people of integrity will represent my views and the many involved in park district matters. Eleventh hour politics, this is typical. I look forward to seeing, firsthand, what is said.
Shawn White
(224) 381-2834

I am surprised that Mr. White feels that citizens paying for and providing accurate testing for arsenic levels at Orchard Hills equates to "eleventh hour politics" - I would think he would be more interested in the health and safety of the people using those fields, as opposed to any political interests involved.....

Please note, the City Council meeting is set for 8:00 p.m. (as always), not 7:00 p.m. as Mr. White states - I will also be at the meeting on Monday night, with the hopes that Waukegan will enforce any environmental ordinances it may have to address this issue.....
Ms. Ryckman,
The biggest concern I will always have with a group of kids, including my own, is their health and safety. I do not know if your tests were valid, who took them, was there a chain of custody, were they tampered with, etc? I actually find it quite admirable to have genuine concerns of the youth soccer, baseball, softball, and football players that finally will have a facility at one location. If this is the case Ms. Ryckman, on behalf of the many young kids I represent, Thank You.
Sorry to offend, if I did. I do have suspicions, that this was not the real reason you went out of pocket to get these tests done. Again, if am am wrong in that, let me appologize in advance. I wish not to alienate good Waukegan people, just have only waited ten years for a facility promised long ago. My youngest might be able to play on one of those fields before she is too old, or moves on from the game. Bright eyed, young Waukegan ladies and gentlemen of many ages are looking forward to a beautiful place to play. My voice is loud because of whom I provide a voice for.
Shawn White
(224) 381-2834
Pages: 1 2