Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Re: BIG BROTHER (Waukegan District School) WATCHING YOU!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Admin didn't respond to my PMs, so this is a response to Admin's comments in Re: BIG BROTHER (Waukegan District School) WATCHING YOU! post just before locking it.

Admin’s question: “Don't you think it's even remotely possible that they identified you based on signing several posts with your name? Or based on the subject matter of your posts?”

Answer: Of course! I never stated that was how they identified me. I wanted others to know so they could be careful. Because others – do not post their names, phone numbers and email address - the only way they could be identified would be by the characteristics of their written communication or information they provide and then they may be exposed. Don’t they have the right to know the district is collecting this information? Shouldn’t they be careful?

Admin’s statement: Since you began posting here, I've allowed you an incredible amount of leeway in the subjects of your posts, to the point of driving others away. I've done so in the interest of free speech and wanting to allow people an outlet for information, not just on our schools but on our community as a whole.

Reply: I appreciate your leeway! Thanks! Unlike most of the other posters on this site and due to the subject matter and serious allegations that I am making, I have signed my posts. Of course members of the administration and board members would have supporters on this website that might be offended by what I posted. It is impossible, to not alienate friends, family and business associates of people that you make allegations about. Of course people are going to take sides. I understand that.

Admin’s statement: “But this is where I draw the line. Don't sign posts with your name or provide details that only you or someone involved with your case would know and then cry out that the district could be making a list of names based on the characteristics of your written communication or information you provide".

Reply: I didn’t state the following as you have alleged, “and then cry out that the district could be making a list of names based on the "characteristics of your written communication or information you provide". I stated: “If they can identify you by the characteristics of your written communication or information you provide - you will be exposed.” I did not state or imply that I was identified in this way.

Admin’s statement: I have issues with the district and some of their policies, but I'm not going to attempt to start a disinformation campaign

Reply: And neither have I!

Admin’s statement: “that paints the district in a bad light”

Reply: I’m not painting the district in a bad light. I have made very specific allegations backed up by documents provided to anyone on this website that took the time to read the information provided, about the board, board attorney and five members of the administration. I have never alleged that specific allegations against 13 members of the district, 7 of who are not even employees, have anything to do with the other 2,200 total employees, the students or the taxpayers.

Admin’s statement: “and increases the paranoia that keeps many employees from posting here.”

Reply: Definition of Paranoid: Exhibiting or characterized by extreme and irrational fear or distrust of others. Employees have good reason to rationally fear and distrust the administration. It is not paranoia if they are really after you. And it’s not paranoia if they are monitoring this website, printing and filing the information. If they really do monitor the communications on this website, shouldn’t employees posting on this site be careful about phrasing and subject matter? Isn’t that just common sense?

Admin’s statement: And neither are you.

Reply: I would hope that after you read the above responses, you would realize that you made a mistake and took my two sentences out of context. You have questioned my integrity. And that is very important to me and I won’t allow anyone, not even a friend, to question it without responding.

After reflecting on the above, I hope that you will publicly apologize for taking my comments out of context and implying that my intent was anything except to help other posters, especially employees, stay safe while posting on this site.

Ron Sartin
My clarified post based on Admin's concerns:

Information posted on this board was being recorded, printed and filed for future use against me by Waukegan Public School's Board of Education, Board Attorney and Administration according to a letter I received today.

Tom Morris of Hinshaw and Culbertson LLP, sent a letter dated February 11, 2009 to the Illinois Attorney General’s Office. On page 5 of his letter, he states, “To place this comment in context, I am including correspondence to and from the Lake County Regional Office of Education (Encl. 16), the Lake County States Attorney (Encl. 17), the State Unemployment Compensation Appeals Board (Encl. 18), Mr. Sartin’s letters to school officials and myself (Encl. 19) and some of Mr. Sartin’s Internet postings on a local Waukegan website (Encl. 20).

I signed my postings so it’s no surprise. Due to their monitoring – please be careful!
What you don't seem to realize is that if I took your post out of context, others could do the same.

Your first post (emphasis mine):

Quote:Information posted on this board is being recorded, printed and filed for future use against you by Waukegan Public School's Board of Education, Board Attorney and Administration according to a letter I recieved today. If they can identify you by the characteristics of your written communication or information you provide - you will be exposed.

The insinuation, as I read it, is that the district is actively monitoring these forums and will use what they find against anyone they can, after they have posts analyzed for content and writing styles to discover poster's identities. Based on what I took away from the post, I locked it. Done.

Apology? When you come out of the penalty box, feel free to make a public apology to all the posters who have watched the Waukegan Schools forum degrade into one man's hell bent crusade against the school district. And make sure you include any employees who might have found your Big Brother post disturbing enough to keep them from posting here.

Other posters - if you feel I'm being too harsh then speak up.

We're done here.