Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Park District
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A lot of talk about the City and School Board elections; any feedback on the Park District and Township elections?
I have gotten some information about the Township election from the radio and newspaper, but nothing about the Park District. I see in another thread that Wayne Motley is on the Park Board. Is he up for election? If not who is and is anyone running against them?
For those who may be interested, I did find out last night that Wayne Motley's Park Board seat is not up this election. The two incumbents are Duffy and Foley. They are being challenged by Sue Rose-Sassone and Bob Taylor who are running as a slate. Are there any major issues that Sue and Bob are talking about?
Being on the Park Board is it a volunteer position or paid?
The position of park board commissioner is unpaid, same as the school board members.
The Park District Board is a position that voters don't understand a whole lot about, so it tends to be the starting point for a either number of political beginners or party hacks. It's a nice little resume enhancer.

It is also a body which wields a lot of political pull via its ablility to take in and spend millions of taxpayer dollars.

The Board will be issuing millions of dollars in bonds for its new pet project: The conversion of Orchard Hills to a soccer player's paradise.
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newss...S1.article

Two enter race for Waukegan park board
Recommend
Comments

February 26, 2009
NEWS-SUN STAFF REPORT

A pair of candidates who describe themselves as "independent thinkers" have announced they are running for the Waukegan Park District Board in the April 7 consolidated election.

Waukegan residents Robert Taylor and Sue Rose-Sassone say they believe the park district needs to be held more accountable for its spending, and park board commissioners need to be more receptive to the wants and needs of the community.

Taylor, 52, is the director of finance for a regional water agency, and a former superintendent of finance and administration with the Waukegan Park District. If elected, he said he would be the only Waukegan Park District commissioner with parks and recreation professional certification.

"Since 2004, this district has issued more than $27 million in debt. I think someone with a financial background would best be able to ascertain the necessity and affordability of such a large debt load," he said.

Rose-Sassone, 50, is the daughter of the late Corrine J. Rose, former Waukegan Park District director and commissioner. She has been employed by the city of Waukegan for more than 30 years as the director of police department's 9-1-1 dispatch center. She has been actively involved in youth sports programs for a number of years.

If elected, Rose-Sassone said she would work closely with the public. "For too long a time, there has been no input from the people of the district. Too many major decisions have been made by a group of five commissioners," she said.

"The park district belongs to the taxpayers, and it is time that the commissioners start listening," she added.
I have one question that I would like to ask....Was Mr. Taylor in charge of Finances for the Park District when all of the Orchard Hills purchase decisions were made and the property purchased years ago? If my memory serves me right he was. Why was he Ok with it when it came time to spend the money years ago but now all of a sudden he is opposed to it. I would ask Ms Rose the same..granted it was not her but her mother and her family were for the expenitures when they occured years ago why are they opposed now. And I do not think distroying Orchard Hills as a golf course last year is an excuse because the intentions for the property were given years ago when it was purchased. Just wondering why they were both for it years ago but opposed to it now. I do not want to start a big flare up but I would like to know for my own person voting decisions.
TKon2

Thank you for taking the time to ask this question. My Mother Corrine Rose was on the Board of Commissioners at the time when Orchard Hills was purchased, and yes she did vote for the purchase of this parcel of land. You indicated that it was my Mother and my family. My Mother is the only member of my famuily to ever occupy a seat on the Park Board. You are absolutley right when you state that the intentions for the property were in fact given years ago. I cannot speak for my Mother, because since the time of the purchase she has since passed away. I can only speak as a candidate for Commissioner on the Waukegan Park District. You indicate that I was for this decision years ago, but oppossed to it now? I have not budged from what I have been saying since the last time I ran unsuccessfully for this position. I did not feel then, and I do not feel now that it was the right thing to do when they destroyed a revenue bearing golf course. I have always felt that this decision should have been put up for referendum. And then to close the golf course down when they did, and just let it lay dormant for a year was totally ludicrous. Am I oppossed to the Sports Complex for the youth of Waukegan, absolutley not, but as I have always stated it should not have been at the expense of the golf course. I hope this answered your question TKon2
Ms. Rose,
Thank you for taking the time to respond and thank you. I have not heard much about this race but the issue of the sports complex keeps coming into play during every election for every office. I thought that is was settled and they were starting construction. I would think that the Park District Board old or new could grow and move forward...at least I would hope. You stated that you are in favor of the Sports Complex for the youth of Waukegan....are you in favor of the sports complex for the adults of Waukegan? Are you in favor of the complex as we move forward. We can not go back in time the golf course is gone...so moving forward are you in favor of supporting the park district with its plans to move forward with the complex and other wonderful projects that are invisioned for all the people youth and adults? Do you support the current administration and the current board members positions on the park district projects of the future? Do you have any new ideas for the park district?

I am sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere but I do not get the paper and I am still trying to figure this page out.
Pages: 1 2 3