Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Park District
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am calling the park district tomorrow about how much money the golf course made and why it sat for a year! Stay tuned. I am sick of all the crap people are saying about this. I went to the meetings to and dont think they make revenue. And I am not sure why it was closed so long. But I will find out the facts.
Jack,

Any luck finding out info on the golf course?
Iam running for the Park Board because I feel that the current Board has absolutley no responsiblility to the public. The plans for the current Sports Complex has been changed so many times that I for one cannot tell you what is included and what is not. But after reading the article in todays paper it really makes me wonder why a special "meeting" would be called for in order to "pass" or "approve" what the current Board is referring to as "Phase Two". As a current candidate for the Waukegan Park Board I can only wonder why this could not have waited 3 days for the general election. Politics as usual, espicially with these meetings being held at 3:45 pm when most people are working!
Is there going to be a debate with all of the candidates for the Park Board? I would love to here everyone's ideas and positions.
Shawn White
(224) 381-2834
bubba13 Wrote:For those who may be interested, I did find out last night that Wayne Motley's Park Board seat is not up this election. The two incumbents are Duffy and Foley. They are being challenged by Sue Rose-Sassone and Bob Taylor who are running as a slate. Are there any major issues that Sue and Bob are talking about?

Gee Wiz Bubba13 you were very informed on another thread about the Park Board race and how you talked to the Rose and Sassone personally at their meet and greet fundraiser and you were very impressed with them. Obviously if you have forgotten this since March 8th they must not have impressed you that much...attached your comment in case you forgot...there were others as well...stop egging people on and trying to get them wound up...the topics that you wish to rise from the dead are dead.

Re: Park Board race: Bob Taylor, Sue Rose-Sassone Meet-n-greet
by bubba13 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:53 pm

I went to check out Sue Rose-Sassone and Bob Taylor at their meet and greet Friday night. I had to see first hand the weasel. Booner's was packed but I did get a chance to talk to both of them. I am still not sure why Bob Taylor is a weasel. They talked to me about some of the questionable decisions the current Park Board has made and some new ideas they had. I left convinced the both would get my vote.bubba13

Tkon2

I am still impressed with Sue and Bob! There doesn't seem to be much interest in the Park District race on this site. After all look how long it took you to reply.

Snoopy,

I heard there was a debate scheduled for Libby's show on WKRS. The word has it that one of the incumbents couldn't fit it into their schedule so it was canceled. If anyone is interested in a debate, call Libby and see what can be done. I've talked to Bob and Sue and I do not need a debate. Vote Taylor and Rose-Sassone.
Sorry it took so long for me to get the information. My mother in law passed away and we have been busy settling things down.
So I called Greg Petry at home last night and he told me that the golf course lost about $30,000 every year not including all the expenses they spent on the place. He did not have the exact numbers with him so i understand. He said that the reason the place was bought was for the sports complex, not because it was losing money. He said everything in the park district loses money. They try to support all sports with what they can. They also paid only 25, 000 an acre. What a deal. I agree that they should have closed it down 10 years ago and built the fields and saved alot of money in the process.
The park district takes care of the school fields and park fields used for the youth baseball and girls softball. He said they aslo help the schools out alot to fix up the fields.
I also asked him about the sports complex and he said it is going to be built this spring. They opened bids yesterday.
When I called him I didnt want to leave my name and he understood he just answered the questions. He said there are alot of rumors and lies and he wanted to get out the truth. If peole have questions they should call him or others to get the right information. He also suggested people read the news and minutes on the park district website to get information.
I saw Terry Duffy and he mentioned there was going to be a debate, but I haven't heard anything else. Thanks for the information Bubba. I believe hearing every side of the issues would be our best chance of sifting through them. I certainly hope they have a chance to square off in a debate. Terry has always kept me and the softball community up to date with information. Always the first to respond to me when I have questions or concerns. That means something to me.
I am not able to get to the Park Board meetings, but Jack is right, the minutes generally keep me up to speed with the parks. The comments about the fields, they dress the fields beautifully. I received a huge comment from a Winnetka coach, two summers ago. The Trevian Coach stated this may be the most beautiful field they have played on.(Dugdale Park).
Our Park District has done a wonderful job of changing the perception of Waukegan with our North Shore neighbors.
If anyone hears there will be a debate, please post the time or call. Thanks.
Shawn White
(224) 381-2834
Jack Wrote:Sorry it took so long for me to get the information. My mother in law passed away and we have been busy settling things down.
So I called Greg Petry at home last night and he told me that the golf course lost about $30,000 every year not including all the expenses they spent on the place. He did not have the exact numbers with him so i understand. He said that the reason the place was bought was for the sports complex, not because it was losing money. He said everything in the park district loses money. They try to support all sports with what they can. They also paid only 25, 000 an acre. What a deal. I agree that they should have closed it down 10 years ago and built the fields and saved alot of money in the process.
The park district takes care of the school fields and park fields used for the youth baseball and girls softball. He said they aslo help the schools out alot to fix up the fields.
I also asked him about the sports complex and he said it is going to be built this spring. They opened bids yesterday.
When I called him I didnt want to leave my name and he understood he just answered the questions. He said there are alot of rumors and lies and he wanted to get out the truth. If peole have questions they should call him or others to get the right information. He also suggested people read the news and minutes on the park district website to get information.
What exactly does "losing money" mean? I mean doesn't every park in Waukegan "lose money" because it takes taxpayers money to sustain them? In that sense won't the new sports complex also "lose money"? In other words if revenue (if any) minus income (if any) and maintainence costs equals a negative figure then it is "losing money"
Rose-Sassone and Taylor need to a new proof reader for their literature. I really an not interested in "The Pubic having a voice in Park District Decisions."

I suppose it could make for lively Park Board meetings.
Pages: 1 2 3