Waukegan Talk

Full Version: WTF!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Maybe it's because I started drinkin' at 2:00 p.m. today, but I had to read this twice, just to make sure that I understood what I had just read. Thomas Perez is a dyed-in -the-wool Progressive who has no business being in charge of the civil rights division of the Justice Department. We are allowing the very fabric of our society to be torn to shreds. I don't see a way to defend the action of the Justice Department. Do you, as a citizen, really think it wise to allow a bureaucrat, with a personal agenda, make, what appears to be, a unilateral, legally binding bastardization of our laws? If they are allowed to do it here then what is the end game? I would be worried by this prospect, whether liberal or conservative. WTFU! Here is the link to the official Justice Department statement below: http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/Novem...-1283.html

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEWednesday, November 10, 2010
Justice Department Settles Allegations of Immigration-Related Employment Discrimination Against Hoover Inc.

WASHINGTON – The Justice Department today announced that it has reached a settlement agreement with Hoover Inc., a leading manufacturer of vacuum and carpet cleaners with facilities in Ohio and Texas, to resolve allegations that Hoover engaged in a pattern or practice of employment discrimination by imposing unnecessary and discriminatory hurdles in the I-9 process upon lawful permanent residents.

According to the department’s findings, Hoover required all permanent residents who presented a permanent resident card (green card) for I-9 purposes to produce a new green card when theirs expired. In contrast, Hoover’s U.S. citizen workers were not required to present new documents. Like U.S. citizens, permanent residents are always work authorized, regardless of the expiration of their documentation. The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) prohibits employers from treating permanent residents differently than U.S. citizens in the I-9 process.

Under the terms of the settlement, Hoover has agreed to pay $10,200 in civil penalties. Hoover will also train its human resources personnel about employers’ nondiscrimination responsibilities in the I-9 process, and it will provide periodic reports to the department for one year.

"All permanent residents in the United States have the right to continued employment without the burden of presenting new documentation when their green cards expire," said Thomas E. Perez, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division. "We are pleased to have reached the settlement with Hoover and look forward to continuing to work with all employers, both public and private, to educate them about their responsibilities under federal law."

The Civil Rights Division’s Office of Special Counsel for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices (OSC) is responsible for enforcing the anti-discrimination provision of the INA, which protects work authorized individuals against discrimination in hiring, firing and recruitment or referral for a fee on the basis of citizenship status and national origin. The INA also protects all work-authorized individuals from discrimination in the employment eligibility verification process and from retaliation.

For more information about protections against employment discrimination under the immigration laws, call 1-800-255-7688 (OSC’s worker hotline) (1-800-237-2525, TDD for hearing impaired), 1-800-255-8255 (OSC’s employer hotline) (1-800-362-2735, TDD for hearing impaired), or 202-616-5594; email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:osccrt@usdoj.gov">osccrt@usdoj.gov</a><!-- e --> ; or visit OSC’s website at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.justice.gov/crt/osc">http://www.justice.gov/crt/osc</a><!-- m -->.

10-1283Civil Rights Division
I don't see what the problem is?
There is a law in place and has been in place for years and Hoover violated that law and they got caught violating that law. Where is the problem? Isn't your beef with the legislators who created that law then?
These are LEGAL permanent residents who have taken the proper avenues to be in this country.
What, is Glenn Beck running out of things to exploit? You know, Glenn Beck and alcohol don't mix.

Here is what the law says:

(6) 1/ Treatment of certain documentary practices as employment practices.-A person's or other entity's request, for purposes of satisfying the requirements of section 274A(b), for more or different documents than are required under such section or refusing to honor documents tendered that on their face reasonably appear to be genuine shall be treated as an unfair immigration- related employment practice if made for the purpose or with the intent of discriminating against an individual in violation of paragraph.