Waukegan Talk

Full Version: Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
admin Wrote:
kellyann1293 Wrote:I guess I don't see the problem with the political posts. If readers don't like them, don't click on the 'Politics' forum.

Kelly - I feel the same way, but apparently others don't and have a strong desire for someone to come in, lock posts, and admonish other members because they don't like what they've read. Common sense would have these people ignore what they've read that didn't sit right with them. Unfortunately, common sense isn't very common Wink

Dear Administrator...

I certainly greatly value this publicly accessible forum about our "neck of the woods" here in the upper corner of northeastern Illinois! You and any volunteers who may be involved do an exceptional job, and I thank you and all who may be involved for making this venue possible. Bravo, BRAVO, BRAVO !!

I like tracking current events/issues and reflecting/discussing them here. The Waukegan area and its immediate environs to the north and south is generally are a very diverse community. There are many viewpoints around here, not just one. I find it both saddening and frustrating (and I am by far not the only one) that such a valuable venue of publicly accessible dialogue as this has become dominated and commandeered by one prolific "cut and paste" poster with a particular point of view which he/she promulgates above all others.

The M O of this poster is to bury those posts which he/she disagrees with a sheer volume of "cut and paste" articles. Such action denies meaningful dialogue and obfuscates/abuses the public spirit that I find is the beauty of this unique venue. IMHO, this publicly accessible Political Thread is seriously damaged and undermined when it becomes nothing more than an ongoing free political commercial for one particular political perspective to the practical exclusion of all others.

No one political perspective represents that of ALL the people. Certainly in this great and good diverse country and community all are free to express and are encouraged to express their political perspectives, too.

I stoutly stand for the absolute right of this "cut and paste poster" to be heard here under Article One of our phenomenal and inclusive U S Constitution.
My thought is that others, too, have this same cherished right and their posts also have great merit to be heard and encouraged. However, IMHO the "cut and paste" poster purposefully seeks and is successful in trumping others the same right to be heard in this Political Thread nearly all the time. Again, this is distressignly accomplished with an avalanche of "feature-based" articles promulgating his/her particular interest to such an extent that others are not heard. As such, I find this totally deplorable and absolutely objectionable.

Now to your thought and that of Kelly Ann to paraphrase, "if you don't like what you read here, then just get out and go somewhere else, create your own website/blog."

Such bears resemblance to the "America, love it or leave it" perspective. Mine is "America, love it and change it" perspective. Fact is that I live in this
country and community, too, and am a stakeholder in what happens HERE.

I choose to be inclusive rather than exclusive as this is what I see makes America work and what America is all about. As this superb forum is publicy
accessible to all, IMHO all should have a right to be heard (as long as they follow the reasonable "Terms of Use" policy rules). We should not be told go "go elsewhere" because we care enough about this forum/country /community to step forward and seek to be more fully heard here, too. Afer all, "what is good for the goose is also good for the gander."

Regarding donations to continue this publicly accessible overall forum, I, too, would be happy to contribute.

--- WT Reader
WT Reader Wrote:I like tracking current events/issues and reflecting/discussing them here. The Waukegan area and its immediate environs to the north and south is generally are a very diverse community. There are many viewpoints around here, not just one. I find it both saddening and frustrating (and I am by far not the only one) that such a valuable venue of publicly accessible dialogue as this has become dominated and commandeered by one prolific "cut and paste" poster with a particular point of view which he/she promulgates above all others.

I don't find that a few posts per day is dominating or commandeering the forum. If you don't want to see what the other side is talking about, don't open any topic started by CL17, me, TypesWithFist, or the other 'right wing nutjobs.'

WT Reader Wrote:The M O of this poster is to bury those posts which he/she disagrees with a sheer volume of "cut and paste" articles. Such action denies meaningful dialogue and obfuscates/abuses the public spirit that I find is the beauty of this unique venue. IMHO, this publicly accessible Political Thread is seriously damaged and undermined when it becomes nothing more than an ongoing free political commercial for one particular political perspective to the practical exclusion of all others.

Again - 'sheer volume?" Seriously? 3 or 4 new topics in a day? And certainly not every day, at that. I enjoy reading CL's posts. I don't think there is any problem that needs to be fixed.

WT Reader Wrote:No one political perspective represents that of ALL the people. Certainly in this great and good diverse country and community all are free to express and are encouraged to express their political perspectives, too.

On that we can agree.

WT Reader Wrote:I stoutly stand for the absolute right of this "cut and paste poster" to be heard here under Article One of our phenomenal and inclusive U S Constitution.
My thought is that others, too, have this same cherished right and their posts also have great merit to be heard and encouraged. However, IMHO the "cut and paste" poster purposefully seeks and is successful in trumping others the same right to be heard in this Political Thread nearly all the time. Again, this is distressignly accomplished with an avalanche of "feature-based" articles promulgating his/her particular interest to such an extent that others are not heard. As such, I find this totally deplorable and absolutely objectionable.

I have no problem reading posts created by any of the other frequent fliers in the Politics forum. It's not like there's a tsunami of posts to wade through. 5 minutes a night is pretty much all it takes, and that is if CL has shared a lengthy article or two.

WT Reader Wrote:Now to your thought and that of Kelly Ann to paraphrase, "if you don't like what you read here, then just get out and go somewhere else, create your own website/blog."

Such bears resemblance to the "America, love it or leave it" perspective. Mine is "America, love it and change it" perspective. Fact is that I live in this
country and community, too, and am a stakeholder in what happens HERE.

Fact is that I live in this country and community, too, and am a stakeholder in what happens HERE. And I like it the way it is. No need for change.

WT Reader Wrote:I choose to be inclusive rather than exclusive as this is what I see makes America work and what America is all about. As this superb forum is publicy
accessible to all, IMHO all should have a right to be heard (as long as they follow the reasonable "Terms of Use" policy rules). We should not be told go "go elsewhere" because we care enough about this forum/country /community to step forward and seek to be more fully heard here, too. Afer all, "what is good for the goose is also good for the gander."

Regarding donations to continue this publicly accessible overall forum, I, too, would be happy to contribute.

--- WT Reader

What is good for this goose is to leave the forums as they are, unrestricted (except for spam and other virtual pollution). And after all, as you said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? Nothing is stopping you from 'stepping forward' to be heard. No need to impose a convoluted set of rules on everyone because you have trouble browsing through 3 or 4 posts a night.
On sceen one of this Political Thread, CL has posted 23 out of 25 comments.
On screen two of this same thread, CL has posted 24 out of 25 comments.
On screen three of this same thread, CL has posted 23 out of 24 comments.
On screen four of this same thread, CL has posted has posted 23 out of 25 comments.
On screen five of this same thread, CL has posted 19 out of 25 comments.
This trend of dominance and commandeering continues throughout this entire Political Thread.

Hey there Administrator, I have a suggestion:
Just change the name of this Political Thread to
the "CL Thread" as this is what it is.

-- WT Reader
WT Reader Wrote:On sceen one of this Political Thread, CL has posted 23 out of 25 comments.
On screen four of this same thread, CL has posted has posted 23 out of 25 comments.
This trend of dominance and commandeering continues throughout this entire Political Thread.

-- WT Reader

Guess what WT? CL happens to be one of the few posters in the Politics Section of this forum, so it will naturally skew towards a large number of posts.

There are also an almost equally large number of posts from you complaing that CL dominates this section.

It appears to me that you constant complaints are an attempt to limit freedom of expression, even though you say you champion it, because you don't agree with CL's views.

Did you and CL have a bad break-up? Why don't you and CL kiss and make up.
TypesWithFist Wrote:
WT Reader Wrote:On sceen one of this Political Thread, CL has posted 23 out of 25 comments.

-- WT Reader

Guess what WT? CL happens to be one of the few posters in the Politics Section of this forum, so it will naturally skew towards a large number of posts.

There are also an almost equally large number of posts from you complaing that CL dominates this section.

It appears to me that you constant complaints are an attempt to limit freedom of expression, even though you say you champion it, because you don't agree with CL's views.

Did you and CL have a bad break-up? Why don't you and CL kiss and make up.

Hey theirTypes!

There you ago again.
YAWN.

-- WT Reader
WT, your wit is soooooooooo impressive.

BTW, there's a sale on Brazilian Waxing at the spa on Genesee St.
TypesWithFist Wrote:WT, your wit is soooooooooo impressive.

BTW, there's a sale on Brazilian Waxing at the spa on Genesee St.

**YAWN**

-- WT Reader
Pages: 1 2