Waukegan Talk

Full Version: July 4, 2010; It's Deja Vu All Over Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My neighborhood is like a war zone again this year, in spite of the City government's proclamation of zero tolerance. I rode my bike to Sheridan Road and saw one unmarked unit at the corner of Grand and Sheridan, who then took off north on Sheridan. In case anyone is wondering where our police are, I have been informed that there is a grand total of 12 policemen on duty for one of the worst nights of the year. That boils down to 1.22 police per ward. Good going, Mayor Sabonjian and City council; keep up the good work. I hope all you proud Waukeganites invited your family and friends to Waukegan to enjoy our wonderful 4th of July. And just imagine, Alderman Needham thinks we need to think about spending precious taxpayer dollars to move all the railroad tracks down on the lakefront. Excuse me, I think I'm going to throw up now.
Actually I think it's worse than it was last year.
1293, I can't fully express what I feel about the long line of incompetents and ... that have run this city for so long without the use of profanity, so I will spare those who still believe in a place called hope. Excuse me, but I think I am going to have to throw up again.
ClassicalLib17 Wrote:My neighborhood is like a war zone again this year, in spite of the City government's proclamation of zero tolerance. I rode my bike to Sheridan Road and saw one unmarked unit at the corner of Grand and Sheridan, who then took off north on Sheridan. In case anyone is wondering where our police are, I have been informed that there is a grand total of 12 policemen on duty for one of the worst nights of the year. That boils down to 1.22 police per ward. Good going, Mayor Sabonjian and City council; keep up the good work. I hope all you proud Waukeganites invited your family and friends to Waukegan to enjoy our wonderful 4th of July. And just imagine, Alderman Needham thinks we need to think about spending precious taxpayer dollars to move all the railroad tracks down on the lakefront. Excuse me, I think I'm going to throw up now.

I was at a wonderful 4th of July party at Waukegan's Lakefront from 2pm till after midnight. Our group had people from all parts of Lake County and Kenosha and even a guest from The Netherlands. From my perspective it was without a doubt the best place to be in all of Lake County. The area around Siver Park was packed with a very culturally diverse crowd and I saw no trouble.

The rail tracks need to be moved. About 10 years ago Kenosha's mayor, John Antaramian, was a guest at a city council meeting. (I probably have it on video tape somewhere). I asked him if, in light of the departure of industry from the Waukegan lakefront, he thyought a shift to recreational and residential use was a good direction to go. His answer was of course it would be good to shift in that direction but the railyards would constitute a deterrent to developement. Back then NO ONE was talking about residential development at the lakefront. There is no doubt that residential - commercial developers are turned off by the rail yards. Also the rail yards are something that the city is empowered to deal with as opposed to Azko Nobel or National Gypsum which they have little control over. That aside the development of the lakefront is absolutely essential to elevating Waukegan. Why anyone would not see that is the real puzzle.
Danno, That's a laugh, because I couldn't find this man's credentials on the internet. What is his area of expertise? Schmoozing the public and getting himself re-elected 4 times? I have looked at Kenosha's lakefront, and by the way, they are level with their waterfront, and I am not impressed. How many foreclosures and empty units do they have? I saw alot of units with no window dressings, and not much pedestrian activity. Their lakefront business area reminds me of Gary, Indiana. Do you pay personal property taxes? Or are you supported by someone else. I pay and I want to see some law and order brought to bear on your wonderful diverse community that you bragged about. My, almost homogeneous, neighborhood is not very respectful. Yes, I am a minority American. But at least I love the country that has sustained my life. That's more than I can say for most of my neighbors.