Waukegan Talk

Full Version: We didn't feel anyone was in danger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am the only one that is totally angered by this Comander's comments? I bet they'd start thinking more about protecting women if we all stopped spending money in Gurnee!

June 15, 2010
By FRANK ABDERHOLDEN <!-- e --><a href="mailto:fabderholden@stmedianetwork.com">fabderholden@stmedianetwork.com</a><!-- e -->
A woman was allegedly abducted at gunpoint from Gurnee Mills more than a week ago, was forced to withdraw money from her Grayslake bank ATM machine and then was driven to Kane County where she was raped in a church parking lot.
The woman was then released at a convenience store in Forest Park.
Gurnee police say the suspect is not believed to be from the Lake County area.
Police did not issue an advisory press release because "we didn't feel anyone was in danger," said Cmdr. Jay Patrick."It was a safe bet he was from out of the county. It's the first time anything like this has happened out there," he said.
The incident occurred June 6 as the woman walked to her car about 9:20 p.m. in Lot F at Gurnee Mills. Her age was not disclosed. A man approached her and implied he had a gun wrapped in plastic. She told police she knew it was a hard object because he poked her with it.
The man forced her into her own vehicle and had her drive to Grayslake to withdraw $40 from her bank account. He then told her to drive west on Route 120 to Route 47 where they headed south into Kane County near Campton Hills. There he instructed her to pull into a church parking lot where he raped her, police said.
After the assault, he instructed her to drive to a convenience store in Forest Park, where she was released.
The assailant was described as a man in his late 30s or early 40s. He was 5-foot-8 to 5-feet-10, 180 pounds with a medium build. He had brown or blond hair worn in a short crew cut and a goatee. He wore black baggy pants, a white T-shirt, white socks and black shoes. To report information about the case, call Gurnee police at (847) 599-7000.
I didn't notice the Waukegan police notifying the public about the assault on the bike path either. And the guy in Waukegan hasn't been caught, to the best of my knowledge.
Terrible story, I fear your more likely to be a victim of crime in Gurnee than Waukegan despite what people think.

[Image: 2lihnox.jpg]

[Image: 20gclrd.jpg]

* Chicago Tribune
Wow! That's incredible news. But, could you please break down the individual categories for me, because I am not seeing clearly, your assertion. I do acknowledge your superior intellect, so, would you please show me the mathematical equation you used to prove your point?
You gotta be kiddin. YOU need some info? :lol:
[Image: 2dtsvpv.jpg]

Not the best image. but hopefully it helps catch the bastard.

ClassicalLib17 Wrote:I do acknowledge your superior intellect, so, would you please show me the mathematical equation you used to prove your point?

Im not trying to be a smartass? Just look at the crimes per capita Gurnee is ~50 per thousand while Waukegan is ~30 per thousand. While violent crime is higher in Waukegan than Gurnee but on par with Evanston, its really low for all cities 4/1000 = 99.6% chance you wont be a victim.

I posted these figures to dispel the belief Waukegan is inheritable unsafe and Gurnee is safe as the commander argues for not alarming citizens.
gmg77 Wrote:[Image: 2dtsvpv.jpg]

Not the best image. but hopefully it helps catch the bastard.

ClassicalLib17 Wrote:I do acknowledge your superior intellect, so, would you please show me the mathematical equation you used to prove your point?

Im not trying to be a smartass? Just look at the crimes per capita Gurnee is ~50 per thousand while Waukegan is ~30 per thousand. While violent crime is higher in Waukegan than Gurnee but on par with Evanston, its really low for all cities 4/1000 = 99.6% chance you wont be a victim.

I posted these figures to dispel the belief Waukegan is inheritable unsafe and Gurnee is safe as the commander argues for not alarming citizens.
This is a fine example of how statistics can be twisted to fit an agenda and how they can be decieving. The hard reality is there is not a street in Gurnee that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking down at 11:00pm. There are many streets in Waukegan I would not walk down at 11:00pm.
Danno - I completely agree with your statement. But my point wasn't whether Gurnee is safe or Waukegan is not.
What upset me was that the police felt the need not to alert the public. A simple alert that this happened would just make people be a little more careful, a little more alert when walking alone ... a heads up is always a good thing.
As my teacher in martial arts always pointed out:

"Always watch your back! And if you do not trust a situation, avoid it and avoid the confrontation by taking a longer route if possible"